Topic of the Week - What do you do with all those eggs?

I have a quick question. What does it mean when a chicken lays down on the ground then sticks one wing up?
Sunbathing. At least, that's how my girls do it. Just stretching out to get the full benefit of the sun.

As for what I do with the eggs, I usually end up trading with people. One friend brings me empty cartons and bread ends, I give him a dozen eggs. Another friend gives me organic "landscaping" advice, I give her a dozen. My sister gets me fancy shampoo, she gets as many eggs as she needs.

I haven't been able to bring myself to outright sell them, though. I don't know why.

Bantam eggs are a harder sell.....Every one oohs and ahs over the cute little eggs but basically didn't think they could use anything that small. Well, my grandaughter will eat an egg, but she never eats a whole one. So I started using the little eggs just for her and it's worked out perfectly. So I had a brainstorm....

I cut 12 compartment egg cartons in half, so I have two half cartons of Bantam eggs. I mark the cartons as "Batman Kids Meals." It worked! Toddlers are eating eggs sized just for them and parents aren't tossing away half an egg when their little tummies are full. So when people with kids come to buy eggs, I can toss a half carton Kid's meal in for an extra dollar and they pay it gladly.

I don't get many eggs. Pippin is always broody so she rarely lays. Chicks are still too young to lay. Fries lays so I get an egg every day.
We eat the eggs or use them for cooking.
If there are too many eggs, we give to neighbours and friends to butter them up to look after the birds during the summer lol 😆

I eat them, and give the rest away as I can. I give them to the mailman, to my doctors, to some of the neighbors, the guys who mow the lawn, the guy who cleans the office buildings at night, etc etc. I also bring them into work and on weekends we'll cook bacon, eggs, sausage a big breakfast for the crew.

Aaron

Make noodles! Especially in the summer when my guineas are laying. Guinea eggs make wonderful noodles. When the noodles are thoroughly dried I will vacuum seal them in bags and store in the freezer. In the winter when the guineas aren't laying and the chicken hens aren't laying many eggs I can still have chicken and noodles whenever I want. No store bought eggs in this household! :old

We give ours away... or trade, but the goal is to sell some. But my favorite is when my wife makes any sort of pasta dish (from spaghetti and meatballs, to broccoli pasta sausage, to pork ragu, most any pasta dish works). A day or three later, she takes the leftovers and puts them in a frying pan with some oil. Beat around 8 eggs with cream/milk and salt, pour it over the pasta and fry til it sets, then transfer to the oven and bake until cooked and crispy on the outside.

The kids call it pasta eggy pie but it's amazing no matter what you call it, and a great way to handle leftovers.

I also love adding a couple eggs to various take out foods on the very rare occasions we eat out (2 eggs to some chow mein, for example, can turn a little leftovers into a meal)

Back
Top Bottom