Topic of the Week - What do you do with all those eggs?

very pleasant topic actually :) ...

Ok , here I participate ,
I use most of the eggs not myself , I think that about half of them go to my neighbours and chickens !
A few neigbours get them for free , sort of ' hush them for the noisy moments of the chickens ' :D , they are really glad to get free eggs and like to get rid of their scraps too which they are allowed to give ( in a bucket in the yard so I can take out what they are not supposed to eat and just give it to them ) , this is already a cost less for them because usually it cost a lot to put out the trash around here in BE ! Next to that they get free eggs so they are totally fine with the chickens around here now ( which they actually do not like due the crowing roo in the way too early mornings and the chickens can also make quite some noise and yes they smell sometimes but that is a chicken ) .
Now , further I always have too many eggs so I make a lot of food for the chickens with extra proteines and so they get some cooked eggs under some yummy yummy , the shells end up in a bucket that I have crushed fine to give thm too .
Other eggs sometimes get sold if one of the neighbours has family coming around and they tell that also fresh eggs are right next door for only a few euro's , which is cheaper than the supermarket .

Other eggs are used in many recipes by me , Being often too skinny I gained a lot of weight thanks to my hens ! and not only did I benefit in gaining weight , I am saving lots of money !
I now often make my own salades for on a sandwich , I make my own garlic tuna salade with some eggs and so on , it is more healthy , delicious and I actually developed a total different lifestyle , costing less money , taking more work in the green house but I'm loving my food because it is just so much better than buying a yar in a supermarket ! own recipes are the best , and atleast you know what you eat ! what you feed your hens is so much tasting in the eggs !

( I used to have a hen that needed some extra feeding , the vet recommanded to give catfood , which happens often , now that week I tasted one of those eggs , I swear you never want to eat that again ! yikes !!!!!! )

I was snowed in twice last month and couldn't get out to make my regular egg deliveries, so the eggs piled up.

When I have a surplus of eggs, I bake custard.

Two cups of milk scalded in the microwave on high for around 13 minutes.
Beat 6 to 8 eggs with 2/3 cup sugar and 1 1/2 tsps vanilla and 1/2 tsp salt.
Gradually beat in the scalded milk with the egg mixture.

Pour into greased casserole dish, sprinkle with nutmeg and slip the dish into a cake pan of hot water and bake in a 375 degree oven for an hour or a knife inserted comes out clean.

Silky smooth custard is one of the best things you can do with extra eggs! Yum!
droolin.gif

We eat a few, Donate a few, sometimes sell a few, feed a few to injured or sick hens, & plant a few in the garden under tomato and other plants shell and all smashed up and mixed in the dirt. I've thought about throwing them at some noisy vehicles racing up and down the road we live on at 3 a.m.

They work best frozen, when used as a weapon.

Back
Top Bottom