Topic of the Week - What do you do with all those eggs?

I have ducks and I do not quite have enough hens to start selling the eggs (yet), I do have one to many eggs quite often. My solutions; 1. Hatch 'em!, 2. Make Homemade Pudding! 3. Make homemade Frozen Custard! 4. Make Meringues! 5. Make Flan! 2-5=make any dessert with lots of eggs.

keep the family fed well.. and then co-workers and friends.. always giving them away.. sometimes i scramble em up and give them back to the hens with some hot sauce.. they love it..

We will be storing some to have a supply on hand and then before they get bad we will cycle them out to use or give away. I like the food bank idea.

I read on here that with proper storage they can be good up to 90 days from lay. I won't keep them near that long. Maybe keep a 30-day supply.

Last edited:
I was snowed in twice last month and couldn't get out to make my regular egg deliveries, so the eggs piled up.

When I have a surplus of eggs, I bake custard.

Two cups of milk scalded in the microwave on high for around 13 minutes.
Beat 6 to 8 eggs with 2/3 cup sugar and 1 1/2 tsps vanilla and 1/2 tsp salt.
Gradually beat in the scalded milk with the egg mixture.

Pour into greased casserole dish, sprinkle with nutmeg and slip the dish into a cake pan of hot water and bake in a 375 degree oven for an hour or a knife inserted comes out clean.

Silky smooth custard is one of the best things you can do with extra eggs! Yum!
droolin.gif

Back
Top Bottom