Topic of the Week - What do you do with all those eggs?

I made a self serve stand on the road. My wife bakes sourdough as well, so we put that up there and our extra veggie starts in the spring - or pretty much whatever else we want to sell from the "farm". We get about 7 dozen a day to sell, and average $4 or so per dozen (we just do a donation model of pricing on the eggs). We have five sons under 12, so the eggs have been something they have taken on. They just pay me for the feed and I allow the to keep whatever else they earn unless they need cartons or whatever else. There is also a variable rate daddy tax each week which they despise. Get used to it little ones! Someone is always after what you earn!

All and all it the little stand earns about $400/week in the spring/summer and everything sells out before 10am as long as we get the sign to the main road by 8am letting folks know it is loaded up. So not bad.
You did a wonderful job on the stand. Very NICE!

Do you have a diagram of the build? Also, did you build that out of wood pallets?

View attachment 2680976

As we all know eggs are a welcome benefit of keeping chickens, but sometimes, especially after chicken math hits and the flock grew, some of us may have the wonderful dilemma of having a few too many eggs! I'm curious to hear what you all do with your chickens' eggs. Especially the extra ones.

Pic by @chicken pickin

For a complete list of our Topic of the Week threads, see here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive
Give them away.... we have a few select family members, neighbors, our respite caregiver that we give them to....... and I make a lot of egg salad!

I made a self serve stand on the road. My wife bakes sourdough as well, so we put that up there and our extra veggie starts in the spring - or pretty much whatever else we want to sell from the "farm". We get about 7 dozen a day to sell, and average $4 or so per dozen (we just do a donation model of pricing on the eggs). We have five sons under 12, so the eggs have been something they have taken on. They just pay me for the feed and I allow the to keep whatever else they earn unless they need cartons or whatever else. There is also a variable rate daddy tax each week which they despise. Get used to it little ones! Someone is always after what you earn!

All and all it the little stand earns about $400/week in the spring/summer and everything sells out before 10am as long as we get the sign to the main road by 8am letting folks know it is loaded up. So not bad.
This is so cool!!!!!! Thanks for posting!

h
You did a wonderful job on the stand. Very NICE!

Do you have a diagram of the build? Also, did you build that out of wood pallets?
Thank you for the kind words. No plans, kind of winged it.

Basically I had the cooler and started by just building around the cooler. I could get some dimensions for you though.

I worked at a lumber mill for years, and have a lifetime supply of 2x4's as a result. The frame and structure is built with 2x4's and the siding is cedar fence pickets, cut to fit. The cedar is generally naturally weather resistant and we didn't want to use stain or varnish of any kind on it. The roof is a piece of galvanized roofing that I found for free from a pile of stuff on the side of the road that someone was giving away.

It is certainly something you could build from pallets.

We get enough chicken, duck, guinea and quail eggs that we sell a lot of eggs. We also will freeze alot of eggs by cracking the raw eggs into a blender then mixing them up and then pouring into greased muffin pans and put unto the freezer. Once frozen take the frozen eggs out and put into either ziplock bags or vacuum seal bags then date and put into the freezer. They are good frozen for a year. We had duck eggs, quail eggs ect are frozen separate.

For me it's simple - DW sells eggs at her workplace - around 45 per week. I can almost cover my feed costs
hmm.png
i wd like to sell my beautiful delicious eggs but I heard from another chicken keeper that before I sell eggs there are regulations I must follow - there are forms to be filled out and the Florida department of health has to inspect your coop, inspect the birds and make sure you are selling eggs that are safe for people to eat. What is required in your area?

Back
Top Bottom