Topic of the Week - What is the purpose of your flock?

I keep my flock for:
1. Eggs - this was my primary reason, and things grew from there.
2. Meat - this was what happened when three "pullets" turned out to be roosters.
3. Breed and sell - this is what happened when I decided to keep one rooster.
4. Bug control - my grasshopper population has never been so low!
5. Entertainment - more than enough said!
I can relate to all of that. However when I get a roo and I have extra hens I will sell the extras in bulk. That's why I hatch one breed at a time so I can sell them in breeding trios for a good bit of money! Or I give the extra roosters to my neighbors, they...."take care of them"
I also love how my hens like eating the katydids. I get bot by those sometimes and it hurts. My hen Susan loves eating any mice she sees, she actually ate a young rat snake I found while I was walking around. She ate it whole!

Hello everyone, this is my flock... well some of my flock. I have 5 roos, but I'm getting ride of 3. This is because I'm splitting the flock from bigger to smaller. I hatched put a smaller rooster so he is staying! I also have 12 hens and one of them has gone broody!!! Sense she is only brooding a few eggs and she might not have the best success I'm getting some other pullets when her's hatch! The dual purpose flock has 5 hens. There names are Eda (the broody hen), Lilith her sister they are both Austrolorp mixes, Nugget & Bake Beans the Piemonte sisters, Susan the French Cuckoo Maran. I will try to get a picture of the Littly Flock later.

At first I just wanted to keep chickens for eggs and meat. Since I can't keep them where I live I had to join a breeding club. They require that you show your birds though. So now I show my chickens (which I learned to love) and use them for eggs and meat.
I usually raise about 100 chicks per year. The hens that don't make the cut will be sold. The roosters will be sold IF I find someone who wants a rooster. Very hard in GErmany. The rest will feed the family.

My chickens are pets I don’t eat chicken don’t cook chicken! Family members eat chicken but have to get it in a restaurant .there fun to watch that baby’s r the best so funny , stupid all wrapped into one. I love fresh eggs to cook with nothing better then fresh eggs. It hurts me to loose any of my flock. Thank you
100% the same. My chickens are my sweet babies I hate losing them and spoil them rotten lol (I feed them stuff from a restaurant I go to and bring them left overs lol) safe for them to eat of course, never want to give them something toxic lol

I have chickens for probably a little of every reason. Some are pets, chosen to be such because of a special quality that makes them loved by all, such as the funny antics of Jace or the calm and docility around children my sweet Jazz displays.
View attachment 1319740 View attachment 1319739
These birds are almost always kept for their whole lives, and if they're sold for some reason, it's only to homes I know and trust to care for them well.

Then I have the egg layers, which pay the feed bill for the rest of the freeloaders. These are usually sold in two to three years. This year it's White Leghorns. I highly recommend them, by the way.
View attachment 1319742

Some birds are breeding stock for my endeavours towards the Standard of Perfection. These birds will likely be kept for a good long time but I don't know as of yet whether I will keep them their whole life or not. Likely not, if I can get some better stock from their eggs.

Partridge Chantecler cockerel. This is the bird I am keeping from this set. That gold you see in his hackle is the underside; the top side of the hackle is the brilliant red seen on the rest of it.
View attachment 1319744

Partridge Chantecler pullet. This one is not a good bird in terms of colour but she has decent structure in points where the above cockerel is weak, I think.
View attachment 1319754

Some of my Silver Ameraucana breeding group. The cock is going to be invited to dinner as soon as I get a suitable replacement due to his bratty temperament. I have eggs from them in lockdown now.
View attachment 1319755 View attachment 1319756

Last, I keep them for tick patrol. The ducks in particular are great at this and definitely reduce how many issues we have with them. As an added bonus, I don't have to mow the area where the birds spend most of their time. I have also utilized a spare cockerel for meat. I have more for that purpose sitting in the coop now, and I mean to do it more often, rather than giving away all those feed guzzlers for nothing in return... still, I shirk from it enough I don't think it can as of yet be classified as a purpose that I keep my flock for.
Hi, you seem to have a range of birds. Can you say what breed are these: my birds are few and are pets.

Attachments

• IMG_4310.jpeg
    IMG_4310.jpeg
    1,007.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4307.jpeg
    IMG_4307.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4261.jpeg
    IMG_4261.jpeg
    297.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4262.jpeg
    IMG_4262.jpeg
    491.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4238.jpeg
    IMG_4238.jpeg
    976.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4239.jpeg
    IMG_4239.jpeg
    722.7 KB · Views: 2
I raise mine for eggs but so enjoy their company too. I am lucky and have a great neighbor to chicken sit if I'm gone. In fact she begged me not to use anyone else!
I love taking eggs to friends and family. Some folks pay for them. I've learned so much about them these last 3 years. I find going to coop very relaxing and peaceful.
I don't know if I could do meat birds?!.

Back
Top Bottom