Torn Nails?!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TommyDaDelaware, Aug 23, 2013.

1. TommyDaDelaware

TommyDaDelaware Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2012
    Central WI.
    I was at fair this year, and I had (I kid you not!!) 3 or 4 ducks tear nails!! I asked people if they had powder (they were rabbit people who would have this stuff if they nicked a quick in nail trimming), and they had nothing. Someone suggested flour (because it is powdery enough to clot the blood) and I thought of Baby powder because it's a fair, anyone with a small baby.... we couldn't find any of that either. Luckily I remembered we had cake mix for pig treats. soo, my ducks waddle-limped about with cake mix on their foot all day, and my friend had blood and cake mix on her shirt for the show. I feel really bad, and the cake mix didn't work as well as i had planned. Is there anything else that I can pack in my showbox for an emergency such as this next year??

2. Learningstill

Learningstill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Corn starch, or bring the stuff for rabbits. How did the ducks break their nails? Are they in wire bottom cages? Ours are in pens which sit on a cemented floor.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Blood stop packed for next show.

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    For sure, always have that on hand whether you show or not. [​IMG]

5. TommyDaDelaware

TommyDaDelaware Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2012
    Central WI.
    well, one caught his nail in the girl I loaned him to to show's button hole on her shirt, and the other of hers likes ti CLIMB the wire walls of her cage!! and the pekin was a mystery! My other friend came in and told me he'd busted his nail and blood was all over his cage!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by