Total loss of little babies as of 2day=3

B_Chickle01

Songster
Nov 11, 2020
Stephentown,Ny
Later into the afternoon we lost yet another baby. Mimicking exactly what happened with another one of our babies several months back..lethargic found her knocked down lying on her side getting stepped on by others.. after doing all i could possibly think of to no prevail she started struggling to breathe... and it was just awful..I read the humane thing to do would be to cull a chick as sick as she was after coming to the realization she wasn’t coming back from this. I am just so crushed I’m really struggling with the fact that I made that decision to hurt an innocent animal.. I can’t even sleep because I can’t stop thinking of it and if she was scared or felt pain. I only had her for a day and a half but I loved her instantly. This years experience in expanding my flock has been the worst. I’m to the point I am so heartbroken I am afraid to even raise more chicks. How do any of you who’ve been doing this a long time get past this stuff and not allow it to keep you from raising more? 😞

Later into the afternoon we lost yet another baby. Mimicking exactly what happened with another one of our babies several months back..lethargic found her knocked down lying on her side getting stepped on by others.. after doing all i could possibly think of to no prevail she started struggling to breathe... and it was just awful..I read the humane thing to do would be to cull a chick as sick as she was after coming to the realization she wasn’t coming back from this. I am just so crushed I’m really struggling with the fact that I made that decision to hurt an innocent animal.. I can’t even sleep because I can’t stop thinking of it and if she was scared or felt pain. I only had her for a day and a half but I loved her instantly. This years experience in expanding my flock has been the worst. I’m to the point I am so heartbroken I am afraid to even raise more chicks. How do any of you who’ve been doing this a long time get past this stuff and not allow it to keep you from raising more? 😞
How many chicks in what size of a brooder? Im so sorry for your loss. :hugs

I don't get upset when I put a sick bird down because I know I'm saving it from more suffering.

It's a normal part of raising chickens. Not the most fun part.

I'm the opposite of you, though. I will have trouble sleeping if I have a sick one that hasn't died yet and I'm waiting to see. I get anxious about making a decision. (I think that I should have killed it already, and also that it might get better and killing it is the wrong move.) But once I make a decision to act, I feel perfectly fine again. That's how I know it was the right decision.

If it helps, have a death ritual. I usually thank the bird for feeding my family (if we're eating it). This last one was not an eater, but a little runt bird who developed a bad leg, so I thanked her instead for 'being the best chicken she could be.'

Also, thank you for being a good person who is responsible for your animals and does what needs to be done. I don't reply to posts from people who won't kill animals that need to be killed, because I have nothing nice to say.

Sorry for your loss. Can you describe how you are raising your baby chicks, in what type of brooder, what type of heat source, etc? Chicks can get crushed in corners or if overcrowded. Some chicks may be weak or small and can aslo get trampled by more vigorous chicks. It is never easy to lose one, but the more experience you get raising them, it might help you in the future. It is necessary to put an injured or sick chicken down, just as you would your dog or cat who is suffering.

How many chicks in what size of a brooder? Im so sorry for your loss. :hugs
We had 6 Porcelain D’Uccles in 70 gal storage tote. We just got them home and their brooder all set up and warmed up for their arrival. We lost two from tractor supply in our first batch as soon as we got them home got two more to replace them they’re doing awesome. Now we just lost one D’Uccle shortly after. The rest are doing great. should specify the D’Uccles aren’t from Tractor Supply.

We had 6 Porcelain D’Uccles in 70 gal storage tote. We just got them home and their brooder all set up and warmed up for their arrival. We lost two from tractor supply in our first batch as soon as we got them home got two more to replace them they’re doing awesome. Now we just lost one D’Uccle shortly after. The rest are doing great.
That does sound big enough... I’m so sorry for your losses. :hugs

Do you think they’re too warm, and possibly hurting each other as they press towards the wall? I’m honestly not sure, just throwing out guesses.

It helps to use a thermometer on the floor of the brooder, and have a warm area of around 90 degrees under the lamp and a cooler area to get to. Totes can get pretty warm, somyou might consider another type of brooder.

Bantams can be very delicate at first, at least mine were when they were altogether in the beginning. After 2 weeks they seemed fine. A lot depends too on if they had any shipping stress in transit to the feed store, or if they were able to get enough food and water, or suffered from pasty butt. When I bring home chicks or they come in the mail, they all get their beaks dipped into the water and feed. Having a drop or two of Poultry NutriDrench can help too. I check for pasty vents every day for the first week, and for 10 days if they have it.

That does sound big enough... I’m so sorry for your losses. :hugs

Do you think they’re too warm, and possibly hurting each other as they press towards the wall? I’m honestly not sure, just throwing out guesses.
No they aren’t. It was right after getting them home it wasn’t hot in there. I know a lot of times from shipping or whatever they get sick. They were late arriving.

Back
Top Bottom