Tough Question

DaveMorehouse

Songster
7 Years
Nov 28, 2016
Lake Superior in upper Michigan
I have 7 new coturnix with splayed legs born yesterday and today. I am going to wait a couple days to see if things improve. My question is this - Should I try to fix them or should I cull them to get rid if that genetic trait from my flock? I tried fixing five from my first hatch last spring but three of them ended up dying anyway. Are splayed legs genetic or do they have something to do with the way the chick was in the shell?

As always, your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

c

I believe it has to do with the incubation process and is not genetic. I recently went through losing all my breeders to a predator but managed to hatch out 5 of their eggs. One had a lot of issues including splay leg and curled toes that I 'fixed' (I think because the eggs were old and not stored properly before incubation and I had humidity issues). I figured I would at least give it a chance and worse comes to worse I have another bird to butcher with the extra males. Anyway, this little guy was a fighter. He still has a limp thanks to his toes that never grew right but, the way I figure it, those problems weren't his fault and he is pretty hardy otherwise to pull through it all. He earned his spot in my new breeder group.

(I may have also been slightly sentimental about the situation since he seemed to be the only chick to come from my favorite male in the first group. :oops:)

I used a bandaid cut in half to make a brace for on of my day old chicks and its actually seeming to be doing ok now. But I think you have to start as early as possible for it to do any good.

I have 7 new coturnix with splayed legs born yesterday and today. I am going to wait a couple days to see if things improve. My question is this - Should I try to fix them or should I cull them to get rid if that genetic trait from my flock? I tried fixing five from my first hatch last spring but three of them ended up dying anyway. Are splayed legs genetic or do they have something to do with the way the chick was in the shell?

As always, your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

c
I've observed (in quail and pheasants) that the longer it takes a chick to hatch...actually break free of the shell, the likelyhood of it having crooked toes or a slipped tendon also increases.
I cull now days, it's extremely hard to keep vet wrap, band aids, etc... on a chick much less trying to get it on in the first place. I use tape to straighten their toes, works very well. Usually in a day or two, you can remove the tape and the toes will stay straight.
It can also be genetic but not as often as you might think. I have a Reeves pheasant that passes on his crooked toes ( like a clubed foot) to his offspring, it is only passed on to the male offspring? Don't fully understand why that is, should also affect female chicks too but it doesn't. I don't allow him to breed anymore, he's just "pen art" now.

I also don't think it is anything genetic, but hatch related.
Slipped tendons are very difficult to fix, and if they aren't better within a few days, i do cull those. But splay leg and curled toes, i usually give till the second day to see if they work it out on their own. If not, they get taped, easy fix.

I do believe that some breeds are more prone to leg issues than others.

Yeah, I too think some species/breeds of birds are more prone to leg issues.
I've noticed alot of wild birds in the past few years are showing up with abnormal, deformed toes and legs. I just think, "well, I guess it took a long time to hatch" but then again, could be environmental reasons as well. Just don't know for sure with wild birds. With my birds, they get high protein feed that I add essential vitamins and minerals to the feed. So I know it's not a feed related deficiency. As I've stated before, the ones that have taken along time to hatch, have had the most problems with leg/toe deformity. I also don't believe it's a humidity issue. I've had chicks hatch in high humidity(<80%) and low humidity (>35%) with no issues, not even "shrink wrapped" but those that took along time did have issues. I think that their bones start hardening before they can get out and thus conform to whatever position they were in at that time. Idk for sure just my observations.

I agree with the late hatch theory. I had a later hatch than usual this time and had more with splay legs than normal. I culled 3 that were not thriving but I till have one that is growing and feathering, just not as mobile. They are being raised for dog food so that one won't be a breeder but I'll let him grow as long as he can.

Thanks to all for your wonderful responses. I mistakenly thought that genetics were the prime contributor. Many of the quail entering day three have "fixed" themselves. I still have four - out of 27 - that are in tough shape. I will apply tape wraps this afternoon and hope for the best. Thanks again, Dave

Thanks to all for your wonderful responses. I mistakenly thought that genetics were the prime contributor. Many of the quail entering day three have "fixed" themselves. I still have four - out of 27 - that are in tough shape. I will apply tape wraps this afternoon and hope for the best. Thanks again, Dave

:fl good luck!

Back
Top Bottom