Toulouse starting to lay at last (UK). Pics

Quote:
I wanted to ask the same thing but too afraid.
hide.gif

if there not from a breeder there mostlikly not gonna look like that atleast in america the more duel purpose version is smaller
Quote:
Regular does? Mine aren't hatchery but mine are also young. Just wanting to know what to expect!!

Last edited:
These are Dewlap Toulouse

I have Toulouse and mine are standard - see "Boss - An Honourable Death" for the standard Page 2 pics. - the Dewlap are normally much more expensive than standard Toulouse - I am sure the owners of Dewlap would agree!

Good luck with your Toulouse "Dewlap" in England! Hope they produce a great line for you - they are so impressive looking! I am English but am now living in France with Toulouse and Embden geese, muscovy and barbary ducks, chickens, goats, donkeys, horses, German Shepherd Dogs, a cat and good weather!

Lovely grays!

Mine are on their second breeding season, and I'm sure you know the first one is usually a bust with the dewlaps. Just love the breed, no goose I'd rather have in my barnyard!

Hi All and thanks for all the replies!

Well that got quite a few of you talking and some of the comments were hilarious LMAO
lau.gif

In the UK the standard utility Toulouse has more of the type of the American Buff and some, with age, show a little dewlap. However our Greys are based on Holderread lines and therefore are very big and show great keel development and dewlap. Bear in mind these are show birds and we took a FIRST with the Holderread gander a couple weeks ago at a County show. They are also mature and shows the potential for birds over 5 years old. However they carrying a bit of weight but difficult to get off now as their diet has been switched to grass and breeders pellets. We do also give them soluble vitamins specifically for fertility in birds and the old gander seems to be just as keen to mate his girls.

Our previous Dewlaps some years ago never developed to the same potential, nice birds but not with such great keel and dewlap development. So in answer to your questions I think ours appear 'saggy' due to their bloodline, maturity and being a little spoilt with food. So dont expect every Dewlap to look like them!

Overall its all down to personal preference and we just love the look of our Dewlaps and our goal is to breed Buffs with the same size and type. The other comment I'll make is that they dont suffer with any health problems and the leg joints are fine. Like I said the old Holderread Gander has just mated his girls and shouting about his sucess. So its our preference to breed for this look and we are lucky to have a bloodline without ant apparent health problems. However I do accept that their life span will be reduced compared to the utility Toulouse.

This year we're hoping to get quite a few goslings from this trio that we can run on as our new breeding birds and pension off the older pair but I hope they get as large and saggy as Daddy
fl.gif

Regards to all

Pete

Back
Top Bottom