Toys for chicks?

Dracos

Hatching
7 Years
May 21, 2012
So my 5 years old would like to know if there are any toys for her chick that she can give her? Or if there is something that we can make for her chicken to play with? She is very insistent on HER chicken is sad with no toys. Thankyou for all your help.
frow.gif

I know this is a strange thing to do but my girls use to put bibs and bonnets on their chickens and roos and have them play tea party with them they would put crumble on the plates and water in the tea cups lol I know this isn't the most country way of doing things but it didnt hurt either the kids or the chickens. It gave them each a chance to get to know each other.

How old are the chicks? We put a very low roost in the brooder and they love playing on that. Jumping on and off and crawling under it.
Mine are almost 4 weeks now and I have been putting in a clump of grass ( with the dirt attached at the bottom) for them to peck at.
I also throw a handful of scratch in the brooder in the morning for them to dig around at.

How old are the chicks? We put a very low roost in the brooder and they love playing on that. Jumping on and off and crawling under it.
Mine are almost 4 weeks now and I have been putting in a clump of grass ( with the dirt attached at the bottom) for them to peck at.
I also throw a handful of scratch in the brooder in the morning for them to dig around at.

seconding the roost though it definitely is age dependant as to whether they will have the motor skills and balance for it or not,mine will be a week old tomorow and they still havent perfected a roost whilst its lying down yet,worth giving a try whilst its flat and letting them get used to it first.

also do the scratch thing-originaly it was just one doing it now they are all going bonkers and chucking each other out to look for treasure [of the crumble variety] :D ,have used a small low tuppaware type box for it-something will find in most homes probably?

a clean warm and stable [as in,one that wont fall] teddy bear with no loose bits,mine love to squash under the legs of it like they woud with a grown hen.

a small/medium rectangle/square tuppaware type container laid on its side,its not necesarily a toy but they like squashing up and huddling together in it,scratch can be put in it to encourage them to look and forage.

some non toxic marbles with nice colours/shiny patterns in them,it is more a visual toy than anything but one of mine does sometimes kick them backwards.

stick some small [ie,around credit card size] unbreakable mirrors in the brooder,or hang them in if they are lightweight, as chicks think its another chick looking back at them,am keeping mine in a chicube for a brooder which has shiny walls and acts almost like a mirror and they seem to be kept amused by their extra friends. :p

dont use food other than their complete crumble/mash as toys yet,a lot of sites give out food as a good chick toy when they really shoud state its for the ones who have grown up and have access to enough grit for digestion.

however,when they have grown and are outside,a good treat for them is a deseeded apple hanging from either a bought holder or home made one,we use home made for henny- staff take the middle bit out first and tie a string around it so it dangles-and henny goes completely bonkers,it keeps her lovely chicken mind entertained and gives us a laugh watching. :D

What is more important is that they get some perspective of distance and changing scenery. I used a weed fabric, very see through and made a run in the porch about 8 feet long and 2 feet wide, they could see me approach or the dog or cat. I also made an obstacle course for things to climb onto things to peck at and changed it regularly with new objects... this allowed them to explore, exercise and stimulate their vision and curiosity. Don't use anything they can peck apart and swallow, I made a huge mistake by putting in some aluminum foil, before long they were eating it. Only use things they cannot damage like clay pots, sticks, two by four blocks, ceramic yard figurines, golf balls, be creative and change them often to keep things different and stimulate their curiousity as well as your daughters.

Back
Top Bottom