Trachea Trauma

joek

Hatching
May 21, 2015
My girl is having difficulty breathing and making wheezing sounds. I have read other posts regarding breathing difficulties, but did not describe my issue, or at least I think.
She is straining for breath, and her neck expands during exhale, with wheezing sound. This makes me wonder if she has had some sort of trauma, I do have a dog that has "played" with my girls.

My girl is having difficulty breathing and making wheezing sounds. I have read other posts regarding breathing difficulties, but did not describe my issue, or at least I think.
She is straining for breath, and her neck expands during exhale, with wheezing sound. This makes me wonder if she has had some sort of trauma, I do have a dog that has "played" with my girls.

If this bird has been mouthed by a dog, then there is a very real chance that there has been internal damage, yes. Has there been more than one incident and how long ago was the last time the dog "played" with your bird?

I had been working with the dog, the last time she killed one was a couple months ago. I have had to scold her for chasing, though. I usually keep a close eye on her, but yesterday I saw her by the coop after I had scolded her for chasing. Also, all my young chicks were nowhere to be found. Hours later 4 of the 7 returned.

Is there anything I can do to help the wounded girl?

Last edited:
I find that use of the e collar on the highest setting during introduction is an effective way of establishing boundaries. We first did that when we got a cat and our chessie would leave our cat alone but would chase down strange cats, hes only chased our ducks once after going for a swim. Chickens and turkeys are still in the brooder

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I considered that...My dog is a Great Pyrenees with gobs of fur, and I think I would have to clip her really short to get skin contact.

Just need the long contacts and a tight fit, its better than what they did before e-collars and better than starting a bad habit. Our dog loves bird hunting, he'll chase down winged pheasants, retrieves ducks and has even chased down and killed a coot while I was setting up decoys

Thanks, gifters, I didn't realize the electrodes came in different lengths. I'll see if I can find one locally.

We have a 5 year old tritronics collar, worth the money but not cheap. Cheaper collars don't last in field use sbut it doesn't sound like you need a $500 collar. To find the right setting the collar should be tight so you can only slide a couple fingers in between. Then you start at the lowest setting and look for the dog to just notice the stimulation, generally a slight perk in the ears. That is where corrections should be done for training. The other side is if the dog is stubborn you don't want to build up tolerance to the collar by moving up one level at a time when the dog does not respond to stimulus. The goal is the least amount of corrections.

Back
Top Bottom