Tractor supply brands of feed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if the folks that don't think it could be the food would be willing to participate in this by buying a months worth of Dumor layer and feed it to their flocks just to see what happens??
I'm thinking there are enough of us here buying poultry feed that it shouldn't be too difficult for us, as a community, to get to the bottom of this...

Are seasoned chicken keepers all of a sudden noticing an egg reduction that drastically differs from prior years at this time?

If so:

- What brand of feed?
- What type of feed (layer/all-flock/etc)?
- What's the production number & date?
- What store did you buy it from?
- Where did you buy it (city/state/country)?
- How much of an egg reduction are you experiencing in comparison to prior years?

Then, we could list the data in a spreadsheet which could easily be shared with everyone and analyzed.

I would be the first willing to offer my information except I've not personally had any issues. My neighbor had issues with Producer's Pride but I didn't think to get the information off of the bag before he disposed of it (yep, I'm kicking myself right now) but he did purchase it from TSC in Antioch, Illinois - a town that is located on the WI/IL border.

I'm thinking there are enough of us here buying poultry feed that it shouldn't be too difficult for us, as a community, to get to the bottom of this...

Are seasoned chicken keepers all of a sudden noticing an egg reduction that drastically differs from prior years at this time?

If so:

- What brand of feed?
- How much of an egg reduction are you experiencing in comparison to prior years?

Then, we could list the data in a spreadsheet which could easily be shared with everyone and analyzed.

I would be the first willing to offer my information except I've not personally had any issues. My neighbor had issues with Producer's Pride but I didn't think to get the information off of the bag before he disposed of it (yep, I'm kicking myself right now) but he did purchase it from TSC in Antioch, Illinois - a town that is located on the WI/IL border.
Lucky you, I save all my feed bags for about a year before I burn them. I am sure somewhere I ought to have some old and new DuMor bags that date back to the beginning of 2022 through early fall.

Now what TS feeds are we talking about? Just the house brands of Producer’s Pride and DuMor? What about the various other Purina brands they sell, considering Purina makes all of it?

If so:

- What brand of feed?

Dumor layer crumble
wisconsin
0 eggs since November
i don’t have the bags anymore to give you anything else

wow. how many hens? how old are they?
Why wow? What’s unusual about hens stopping their laying in November? That’s the biological norm.

This is why I’m so incredulous about these claims at this stage. Its completely natural and normal for mature hens to shut down any time between July and December and that shut down can last for many months. That’s normal. That’s biology. That’s a fact of nature. Someone who doesn’t know that lacks a fundamental knowledge about egg production in chickens.

So why again are we upset that chickens aren’t laying 1) during their molts and 2) when the days are shortening?

Why wow? What’s unusual about hens stopping their laying in November? That’s the biological norm.

This is why I’m so incredulous about these claims at this stage. Its completely natural and normal for mature hens to shut down any time between July and December and that shut down can last for many months. That’s normal. That’s biology. That’s a fact of nature. Someone who doesn’t know that lacks a fundamental knowledge about egg production in chickens.

So why again are we upset that chickens aren’t laying 1) during their molts and 2) when the days are shortening?
wow is just from my limited experience. I have 2 hens that are going through just their second winter and are just finishing up their first molt. I also have two August hatched hens and one just started laying.

My older ones barely slowed down at all last winter. This winter, during their molt, they slowed down but probably never skipped more than 4 days.

So, some of that wow, along with my question to age and number of chickens, is ..... 'is this what I'm going to expect and when is it expected.'

My impression is that most people around here have more than 4 hens. I would guess the average is in the 8-12 range or more. So, if 8 layers cold stop for 1.5 - 2 months, I am pretty surprised. I would have guessed up to 75% reduction .... but not a cold stop.

Again ... very limited experience ... but I'm surprised. thus ... .wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom