Tractor Supply Chicks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's terrible! I understand they want to sell a minimum to discourage Easter Basket chicks but in my area there's a 2-4 hen maximum on most residential lots so it just doesn't make sense. I have 4 total. And if I could have 6 I would!! I will buy my supplies from TSC only because in my area they have the best prices/selection. But I would not buy chicks from them!

They are a business there to make money, most of the people they hire are there to make a living and that's all. Like all business' they occasionally get someone actually interested or knowledgable in the product they are selling.

We lost 6 hens and a roo within the last 9 days. (fox( es) Our one and only black orp hen is devastated. Very lonely, so we picked up 6 leghorns, and 2 wyndotes today and put them in with her. First we put one wyndote in, and she took right to her, so we put the rest of them in, and now it seems she's shunning them a bit. Overwhelmed ???

My guess is overwhelmed. My 2 pullets are acting the same way - I just added 2 4 week old pullets to 2 9 week olds. The older ones are standoffish to the younger ones. But at least they're not fighting!

We lost 6 hens and a roo within the last 9 days. (fox( es) Our one and only black orp hen is devastated. Very lonely, so we picked up 6 leghorns, and 2 wyndotes today and put them in with her. First we put one wyndote in, and she took right to her, so we put the rest of them in, and now it seems she's shunning them a bit. Overwhelmed ???

So sorry to hear of the loss.

Thanks, it really sucks. The new chicks are pretty much enjoying the fresh coop habitat. Michelle, (our last survivor) pretty much stays to herself, and the newbies are having a ball under the heat lamp, with plenty of feed and water, and room to stretch out! Things will be good again soon. We get 8 RIR this Friday too. I am going to build a small impenetrable run for them, and we will only let them out when we are around from now on. With fox, bobcat, coyote, coons, hawks and bear running through the yard, it's tough to be where you need to be all the time.

In my area 1 city has a limit of chickens of 5 hens only and all 3 local big box farm supplies (2 in our county 1 the next county over) sell minimum order of 6 I figure if you get 6 the odds are 1 will be a roo and you make fried chicken one night and then enjoy your eggs if you end up with 6 hens rehome it if you wish instead.

Buying chicks at tsc is like shopping at Walmart, really, either YOU know what you're doing or you don't. I bought the red pullets (yes, a no brainer) just for eggs. They are the healthiest long legged girls ever, and the friendliest chickens yet...they can strap on a feedbag too. I lost one to a mutt passing through and wished now I bought 12., my feed store where I also intended to buy 12 had one guy come in and buy all the chicks...fortunately my hens hatched out about 25 chicks already and another is officially broody, didn't mean to ramble but what I want to say is, be kind to the children that work in retail, it is what it is.

Originally Posted by FMAFarms
Our Tractor Supply is very limited in what it carries. Their chicks arrive on 2/28 and, when I asked about what breeds would be available, they sent me to the Tractor Supply web site (tractorsupply.com) and told me to download the order form. It's the same order form for all Tractor Supply locations throughout the US. The form includes "Safe Handling Instructions," "Caring for your new chicks," "Supplies Check List," and then the actual birds available:

Golden-Laced Wyandottes
Silver-Laced Wyandottes
Barred Rocks
Cornish Rocks
Rhode Island Reds
New Hampshire Reds
Black Sex Links
Gold Sex Links
Buff Orpingtons
Black Australorps
White Leghorn
Danish Brown Leghorn
Ameraucanas
White Plymouth Rocks
White Turkeys
Bronze Turkeys
White Pekin Ducks
Mallard Ducks
Khaki Campbells

Also "Bantam Special" and "Assorted Duck."

They didn't say whether I could turn this form in as a pre-order, or whether I was supposed to mail it in. The form does say "Selections: Breed/Gender Must Be Purchased in Multiples of 5 And Must Total 25 Or More." Which is confusing, because I heard you could just pick what you want of what is in store. Confusing. We decided to avoid Tractor Supply and go through a hatchery instead. I'll still probably go take a peek, though! *****End Quote***

The TSC I went to in Mt.Pleasant MI had a poster up of what breeds you can order. The dark cornish which was not on your list is on the poster at that store. They do get some in but they are mostly production layers. The mt.pleasant store had silver lace wyandotte pullets and straight run golden laced wyandottes. Other than the production layers and wyandottes they had a few straight run jumbo cornish cross

Back
Top Bottom