Tractor Supply Co. Chicken Coop Reviews Thoughts Feedback - Why and Why Not ?

Pics
I had an Arrow shed... Until it collapsed under snow load during a blizzard. I had to put a turkey down because she broke her leg, one flew off and I gave up looking for a white turkey in a snow storm (she actually somehow survived a severe winter and showed up in a neighbors yard the following spring), the rest got moved to a different building. If you live in snow country, you'll really have to keep snow cleared off of the roof. Which could mean going out during a blizzard and/or at night.
BTDT.
Had to build a 'truss' to hold it up, then a tarp.
Other shed I propped up the cross members by sticking a 2x2 between floor and roof,
but still used roof rake to keep clear.

I have a coop and a chicken tractor from TSC bought when we realized our shed and chicken yard were going to take longer than expected. Right out of the box, we realized the coop wouldn't survive our weather or predators but it was a great "fast" option in the middle of winter to go in a secured covered space while we got the other done. It is now on pressure treated boards and under a polycarbonate roof inside the chicken yard and is a great time-out coop.

Buying a shed and materials for the run did cost more, but got us something we'll be able to use for many years hopefully. On the other hand, knowing what we know now, we wouldn't even do that next time, but would just build something from scratch. Would have been cheaper and better quality than the shed kit we got at lowes which needed reinforcement and "upgrades" in a similar way to the TSC coop.

Had one many, many years ago, a deluxe model, which I would bet was built of a heavier gauge metal. Set it on a concrete foundation we poured. First strong wind folded the doors. Built new ones out of plywood. Would not dare hang any weight on it. Any perches, nesting boxes, etc. would have to rest on ground. Rigid foam insulation would help with heating problems. Might make a nice home for insects though.

I had an Arrow shed... Until it collapsed under snow load during a blizzard. I had to put a turkey down because she broke her leg, one flew off and I gave up looking for a white turkey in a snow storm (she actually somehow survived a severe winter and showed up in a neighbors yard the following spring), the rest got moved to a different building. If you live in snow country, you'll really have to keep snow cleared off of the roof. Which could mean going out during a blizzard and/or at night.

I don't disagree and wasn't particularly endorsing this brand - all I know of them is the one I put up for my mom in FL 15 years ago seemed sturdy enough and has lasted through that many hurricane seasons.

But keep in mind, the comparison is a TSC coop. Which is collapsing when a good sized dog paws at it. (Personal experience)
I was given a TSC coop. I didn't even try to house anything in it through winter, which was good, because the first November storm I picked a quarter of it up out of the pasture, knocked the rest apart with a good kick and the pieces are leaning against the side of my barn yet, waiting to be re-used into (indoor!!!) quail hutches.

Our babies are still in the brooder. 5 weeks old. We bought a gently used TS coop from a friend of a friend the day we brought our chicks home. We thought we were thinking ahead.
Once we got it home we immediately felt it was not going to be big enough. It says it can house 8. We have 9. There is no way!
My husband built a large run to connect it to until we can build a larger coop.
I only wish I had joined this site and read this post first.
For the next few weeks theyll be fine in the little TS coop. Right now they are loving warm days and spending short periods of time in it.
We still have work to do on the run (adding a roof) and predator proofing...etc.

Attachments

• 20200420_184802.jpg
    20200420_184802.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
  • 20200427_141934.jpg
    20200427_141934.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 20200420_184802.jpg
    20200420_184802.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
  • 20200422_181630.jpg
    20200422_181630.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
  • 20200427_103203.jpg
    20200427_103203.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
  • 20200426_182234.jpg
    20200426_182234.jpg
    542.8 KB · Views: 23
Complete waste of money. I have one that I won from a raffle club and the board in the area where they lay eggs has already fallen out and is warped so its essentially unusable now.
I kept my bantys in it but have since moved them to a 10 x 10 kennel with a small coop in it.

Last edited:
Honestly, I've never seen one that I could recommend in good conscience. They just aren't worth the money for the size and quality you get.
IMO, buying a shed then adding roosts, nest boxes, windows and ventilation is the way to go.

I’d be willing to try a shed. Are there any sheds you’ve seen that are inexpensive that would suffice for a chicken coop to hold about 5-6 bantams? TIA.

I got the medium OverEZ from TSC for my 4 Australorps and love it. I waited for it to go on sale and was able to assemble with husband (inside of roofed 10’ x 14’ x6’ tall hardware clothed run) within a couple of hours. Added the PulletShut automatic door and our chicken raising is incredibly simplified. We have never lost a hen to predators. With a sand based run, I can clean run and coop in 10 minutes each day which keeps flies and smell at bay. The girls stay cool, clean and healthy and their egg gatherers happy!

I bought the OverEZ large but straight from the company - saved a lot by eliminating the TS markup & shipping. It’s a very well built coop! It replaced a home made one that I had for 6 years.
OverEZchickencoop.com

Last edited:
I’ve recently purchased the Producer’s Pride Sentinel, and I feel that the construction is adequate, all assembled I needed to use my
tractor to move it from garage to it’s location. I will say the locks are not predator proof, I’ve added barrel bolts with turn buttons to the doors, and one to prevent the clean out sheet from sliding if something managed to get into run and poke it’s nose around underneath. I don’t feel that it’s large enough for more than 3 birds although its recommendation says 6. It’s connected to a 4’x8’ run and will be temporary housing until I finish my own coop. Overall it seems much better built than previous pre-fab coops I’ve seen at Rural King & TSC. We’ll see how it holds up.

Back
Top Bottom