Tractor Supply Feb 2021 Ameraucanas not pullets?

I didn’t order pullets but bought them from TSC as sexed birds. Two were males. Whoever is sexing these birds as pullets needs a new job. I know TSC gets a lot of flack for their treatment of the chicks, I’m not defending them, but the chicks are sent to them by other companies. Like the ones mentioned already. I pick up the sick chicks in the back of my local TSC and some of the chicks they get in.... just amazes me. The hatcheries just send out any chick. Most of the chicks have splay leg or wry neck. Why are the hatcheries sending out these chicks? I feel like the hatcheries are rushing out chicks this year to keep TSC “stocked up” so to speak. 😕

I didn’t order pullets but bought them from TSC as sexed birds. Two were males. Whoever is sexing these birds as pullets needs a new job. I know TSC gets a lot of flack for their treatment of the chicks, I’m not defending them, but the chicks are sent to them by other companies. Like the ones mentioned already. I pick up the sick chicks in the back of my local TSC and some of the chicks they get in.... just amazes me. The hatcheries just send out any chick. Most of the chicks have splay leg or wry neck. Why are the hatcheries sending out these chicks? I feel like the hatcheries are rushing out chicks this year to keep TSC “stocked up” so to speak. 😕

Covid saw a HUGE spike in people buying chickens for their houses. Atwoods is constantly selling out of birds and rabbits, and last year was wild. I bet they're trying to keep up with some of the Covid demands that are still on stores like that and just ship out whatever they have.

Beyond that tho, hatcheries don't care, at least imho. They bulk hatch chicks and have no desire to keep up with breed standards. Their facilities might be great, but... ehhhhh.

I know TSC gets a lot of flack but I've never gotten a male from them when buying pullets. I'm wondering if it's more of the store mixing them up rather than the hatchery sexing them wrong. My TSC is very meticulous with their chicks. I saw them bringing out chicks one time and they knew their breeds and made sure they were labeled accordingly. Even the cornish chicks they label as meat birds so that a buyer will be aware. I've gotten 19 pullet chicks from them on 3 different occasions and they have all ended up being pullets.

This also. Were they crowing? Because a lot.of people go off of their tail feathers and think they're Male when EEs actually get pretty rooish looking tail feathers.
EEs have very male-like tail feathers at that age. Any newbie would be confused and mistake that as an indicator that they have a cockerel.

Me too. The girl in my avatar was looking like a boy for a bit
Heres mine when she was around 12 weeks old. That tail was making me question but shes just a butterball 😂

Attachments

• IMG_20200504_183006_704.jpg
    IMG_20200504_183006_704.jpg
    431.4 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom