Tractor supply pullets

We got 8 6 weeks ago at TSC. They were all supposed to be pullets. That's definitely not the case though. One of them has been starting to learn to crow since it was almost 4 weeks old.

We brought these six little Golden Comet pullets (I think they're also called Golden Sex Link) home from TSC today. The worker said they were two or three days old. Hopefully, they're all hens, but I guess we'll find out if TSC or the sorter got it right. The worker with the chicks said we needed to get a bantam too if we wanted eggs, but we said we're not looking to breed our chickens, just for collecting our own eggs. He said, "Well, if you want eggs, you need at least one male. You can't get eggs without a male." We politely said thank you, but six pullets please. We've had layers for years and never needed a rooster if we're going to eat the eggs!

If they are sex links (and they appear to be) then they will all be hens for sure. They don't make mistakes with sex links because the little roosters are a solid yellow chick with no other color and is white when grown. The pullets chicks are yellow with red tints on them and will be redish brown with white feathers mixed in when grown.

I used TSC becuase they are new and the local(ish) -both tsc and feed store are 30 miled away-feed store won't have any For a while.

a week later I heard the hardware store was getting som. I didn't purchase any tho. They hardware store will.be getting EE on the 20th and I will probably get 2.

I got 7 TSC pullets. 2 barred rocks. 2 I Still Don't know breed and 3 white leghorns. So far at 5 weeks they are still Looking like pullets and are Very healthy.

My only issue was them not knowing the breed of the buff colored ones

A friend got three chicks from TS and was told they were female. Turns out one was a cockerel. They are 8-9 wks old now. I found a home for her cockerel. Can she get a pullet and add her to the two she has? The coop and pen they built doesn't allow space to separate a new one. Will they hurt her?

8/9 weeks is a big difference from a new chick and would put the new chick in jeapardy. Better to get a dog crate and put 2 chicks in the crate in the same area till the babies are grown more and all are accustomed to each other.

I agree with newmarch, don't get a baby and put her in with the big girls. If she can get an older bird (preferably close in size) that would work. Just put the new pullet in at night. Could also wait until they are a little older and then get a 'started' pullet. I know Meyer sells started pullets that are around 17 weeks old. It might be a bit to ship such a large bird so look around locally, might still be some 'easter' chicks that the owners are tired of. They would be just a little bigger then your friends.

8/9 weeks is a big difference from a new chick and would put the new chick in jeapardy. Better to get a dog crate and put 2 chicks in the crate in the same area till the babies are grown more and all are accustomed to each other.

I didn't say another chick, I said could she get another pullet.

Out of my 6 chicks from TSC one was a rooster and 5 were hens. Big Bertha became Big Bert. He hasn't started crowing yet but when he does, he will become dinner

Back
Top Bottom