Tractor Supply vs. order straight from hatchery

Chickchick121

Songster
Dec 26, 2021
We already have chickens and 3 are roosters. We would like to get some more as baby chicks. Would you recommend getting them from tractor supply or ordering straight from a hatchery. We are thinking about ordering from Mt healthy hatchery. We also were thinking about doing tractor supply but they do not vaccinate their chickens. Would you go for the hatchery since they vaccinate them? Even though you don’t get to pick them and some may die due to transit? We are only getting 10.

Easter Egger
Silver Laced Wyandotte
Lavender Americana
Speckled Sussex
Black Austrolorp
Buff Orpington
Barred Rock
Cuckoo Maran
TSC could have some of those. I doubt they would have Ameraucana (it would be Americana which is actually an Easter Egger).
Ideal Poultry ($7 ship fee) and Mt Healthy ($10 ship fee) carry the rest of the breeds you mentioned besides Ameraucana. You could check TSC and if they don’t have a good variety, order 1-2 of each from one of the listed hatcheries. Ideal’s prices are lower than Mt Healthy just FYI. They both have Olive Eggers too if you want a green egg to go with your blue one!

Is there a minimum?
Yes, unless it has changed it is 10. Sometimes they have it so that you can get 5 of one and 5 of another breed to make the 10.

I guess that is the drawback versus from purchasing inside a Tractor Supply Store. I think inside the store the minimum is less. However, I do not think I would feel too positive about buying directly from inside the store because they do not seem to take care of them very well, or even have them labeled correctly, in any of the Tractor Supply stores I frequent.

Easter Egger
Silver Laced Wyandotte
Lavender Americana
Speckled Sussex
Black Austrolorp
Buff Orpington
Barred Rock
Cuckoo Maran
Ameraucanas aren’t carried by most hatcheries, and if they are it’s usually just BBS. I got my lavender Ameraucana from cackle hatchery. I haven’t seen anywhere else carry them, though I’m sure there is somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom