Tractor Supply

Talk to me about buying chicks from there.
I'm in Florida, when are they available?
What breeds do they generally have?
Do you recommend?
Average cost for them?
Looking to add just maybe just 6 more, less is fine..
Any feedback at all will help!
Hi! I’m in Florida too! This Wednesday is chicks day @ TSC !!!!! 🏃‍♀️!!!! However it’s my first time buying chicks so I’d like to know this info too, I only can answer on the date!

Hi fellow central Floridian 😁
I've done it all - bought from TSC, ordered from various hatcheries, and purchased from breeders (picked up adults, shipped chicks, shipped eggs)... far and away I've been happiest with breeder birds.
I just don't think the hatcheries put much effort into breed traits.
The real investment is in raising the birds, if you put all the money and time in it, and they grow up not looking like the pictures or like the breed should, it can be really disappointing.

TSC in FL has spring chicks in April through most of May. They have a hard cutoff before June because the summer heat is too harsh to ship chicks. They offer chicks again in the fall, October I think for a short 2-week window.

Sometimes they mislabel the chick bins. It's a good idea to familiarize yourself with what each breeds chicks are supposed to look like (you can do this on the hatchery websites).

Keep in mind that even the sexed female bins are going to have some males in there. Straight Run is often not a true Straight Run because they pull the sexed Females out first. So more like 60/40.

That said, hatcheries make it easier to get a mix of breeds, like a sample platter, to figure out what you like best.
If you have some idea what you really want, I would go straight to a breeder source. Are you on the coast?
We love blue eggs, so real-deal Ameraucana have always been a favorite. We've played around with other breeds but keep coming back to them.
Thanks for this info, I’m also from cen FL near Lakeland! This will be my first year owning chicks!

Back
Top Bottom