Tractor Supply

Talk to me about buying chicks from there.
I'm in Florida, when are they available?
What breeds do they generally have?
Do you recommend?
Average cost for them?
Looking to add just maybe just 6 more, less is fine..
Any feedback at all will help!
I’m located in central Jersey. Just got back from the store and they are set and ready to go . They are expecting chicks tomorrow … my understanding is that everything goes. Hoover hatchery is the main supplies , so whatever they have will show up in the store.

I was just in tractor supply the other day. They had a sign saying they'd have chicks available starting tomorrow. I live in Massachusetts though. Not sure if they have them nationwide at the same time. I haven't bought any from there. I was looking for a variety of breeds when I got my chickens. But plenty of people on here have. They only have certain breeds at certain times. So if you're not too picky about breeds, they aren't a bad option. And you get to see your chicks before you bring them home. I do know that I've heard a lot of people ending up with some roosters, from their sexed female bins. But that can happen anywhere.

Talk to me about buying chicks from there.
I'm in Florida, when are they available?
What breeds do they generally have?
Do you recommend?
Average cost for them?
Looking to add just maybe just 6 more, less is fine..
Any feedback at all will help!

Hi fellow central Floridian 😁
I've done it all - bought from TSC, ordered from various hatcheries, and purchased from breeders (picked up adults, shipped chicks, shipped eggs)... far and away I've been happiest with breeder birds.
I just don't think the hatcheries put much effort into breed traits.
The real investment is in raising the birds, if you put all the money and time in it, and they grow up not looking like the pictures or like the breed should, it can be really disappointing.

TSC in FL has spring chicks in April through most of May. They have a hard cutoff before June because the summer heat is too harsh to ship chicks. They offer chicks again in the fall, October I think for a short 2-week window.

Sometimes they mislabel the chick bins. It's a good idea to familiarize yourself with what each breeds chicks are supposed to look like (you can do this on the hatchery websites).

Keep in mind that even the sexed female bins are going to have some males in there. Straight Run is often not a true Straight Run because they pull the sexed Females out first. So more like 60/40.

That said, hatcheries make it easier to get a mix of breeds, like a sample platter, to figure out what you like best.
If you have some idea what you really want, I would go straight to a breeder source. Are you on the coast?
We love blue eggs, so real-deal Ameraucana have always been a favorite. We've played around with other breeds but keep coming back to them.

Last edited:
TSC gets their chicks for Hoover Hatchery, so check out their website to see what they may provide. Majority of what is offered are "hybrids" and agree with @SourRoses hatchery chicks are NOT quality to the breed. However, some hatcheries provide better quality than others. I preferred it when TSC was supplied by Ideal Poultry but that was years ago. A friend of mine orders from McMurray while another brings in from Ideal.

IF you want real quality birds, the best bet would be a breeder.

I've gotten chicks from tsc. Got 9 blue andalusian from sexed pullet bin-all girls and laying. I asked what day they get deliveries for my store-thursdays. So......I go in on Wednesday and get em usually for $1 a chick. Once there were 5 left-i wanted 4, he gave me all 5 for $3. Umive been pleased, I want pets and eggs, don't care breeder quality

Wondering how they are getting them tomorrow if the US postal service is closed? I would think maybe Wed if the get sent out on Tue? Does anyone know how that works?

I got 8 chicks last year from TSC 4 smokey pearl
( Hoover special) and 4 leghorns . They were normal chicks and have grown into productive hens. They were 3-4 dollars each I live in SW Neb. I'm not sure they can control which breeds they're getting. They did know what breed the week before. All pullets grew to be hens. I'd do it again.
The minimum was 4 chicks.

Hi fellow central Floridian 😁
I've done it all - bought from TSC, ordered from various hatcheries, and purchased from breeders (picked up adults, shipped chicks, shipped eggs)... far and away I've been happiest with breeder birds.
I just don't think the hatcheries put much effort into breed traits.
The real investment is in raising the birds, if you put all the money and time in it, and they grow up not looking like the pictures or like the breed should, it can be really disappointing.

TSC in FL has spring chicks in April through most of May. They have a hard cutoff before June because the summer heat is too harsh to ship chicks. They offer chicks again in the fall, October I think for a short 2-week window.

Sometimes they mislabel the chick bins. It's a good idea to familiarize yourself with what each breeds chicks are supposed to look like (you can do this on the hatchery websites).

Keep in mind that even the sexed female bins are going to have some males in there. Straight Run is often not a true Straight Run because they pull the sexed Females out first. So more like 60/40.

That said, hatcheries make it easier to get a mix of breeds, like a sample platter, to figure out what you like best.
If you have some idea what you really want, I would go straight to a breeder source. Are you on the coast?
We love blue eggs, so real-deal Ameraucana have always been a favorite. We've played around with other breeds but keep coming back to them.
I am pretty much on the coast. 1 mile from the Indian River. I see there's Happy Feet Hatchery over an hour away, which looks about the closest... do you know of any close places I could look up or contact? I'm waiting on a response from the Fort Christmas Farm to see what they will have available.. But I only really see hatcheries pop up in a Google search, not breeders... And yes we like the blue eggs too, I have 4 of my 5 easter eggers laying right now to, all giving me a slightly different shade of the same color sage, lol.

Back
Top Bottom