Tractors

missmychicks

Songster
12 Years
May 10, 2011
We live in an area with a lot of predators-is the only safe way to let them free range during the day to do it with a tractor? Could we put 2 or 3 in a smaller one to forage bugs in our cutting flower garden, then alternate with other ladies in another area on the next day?
When we had chickens before this was never an issue (small property in the city, and we had a very protective dog). Any advice welcomed!!

We live in an area with a lot of predators-is the only safe way to let them free range during the day to do it with a tractor? Could we put 2 or 3 in a smaller one to forage bugs in our cutting flower garden, then alternate with other ladies in another area on the next day?
When we had chickens before this was never an issue (small property in the city, and we had a very protective dog). Any advice welcomed!!
Yes. Make sure the tractor is well built with a hardware cloth top (16 guage minimum) and heavy enough to prevent a dog tipping it over.

How small could we make it? Starting to look at plans, but some look really small!
I would allow at least 4 square feet per hen in any kind of chicken tractor arrangement (that's the minimum recommendation for a chicken coop too), but bigger is always nicer.

We live in an area with a lot of predators-is the only safe way to let them free range during the day to do it with a tractor?
It might be possible to let your chickens out for short stretches of time, and stay out there with them. Of course this depends on your schedule, how your chickens behave, and which specific predators you are dealing with.

I have been using smallish chicken tractors made largely of 2" x 4" welded wire fencing with usually with treated lumber as a frame to stiffen. I move them frequently, and sometimes daily to keep the birds on fresh grass. The pens are supplied with a roosting stick even if they are in the pen for just the day. I have been able to train the chickens to go between chicken tractor and coop at start and end of day, respectively.

The first is a shorter version that is about 2' tall.

1669158808466.png

Taller version that is 5' tall.
1669158867896.png

When birds are to roost in them, make so the pen is covered with a barrier on one side or the other to prevent predators from reaching in. Hen below adopting characteristic posture when disturbed by owl after dark.
1669158950906.png

I also got into habit of placing a layer of poultry wire around the base of pen. If a chicken gets on ground for some reason after dark, most predators have trouble getting though the double layer of fencing.
1669158756592.png

@missmychicks how’s it going? did you end up building something? here’s what I use for my 7 ladies. it’s 4x8. pressure treated lumber with hardware cloth. not the least expensive build by any means, but sturdy, heavy and protected. I’m on serious hillside here and I’m rolling it over lots of uneven ground. they get out in it daily and I can go back in the house and not worry about them! I roll them right into the garden for fall cleanup. and yeah I have every predator that exists in the northeast here in my yard. daytime bobcats come through quite a lot!
A16C8329-FC34-4FEE-9334-CBFE0B934658.jpeg
4EB35146-0574-487E-903F-0007D639985E.jpeg
3D11105A-DA30-4F75-B0BA-8B111695EDCF.jpeg
D7FD1F40-AF80-4079-9AF3-6F514E321F35.jpeg
06C27AA6-015D-47D3-9281-BACF352AEE4D.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom