Trader Joes & Other Grocery Store Egg Hatching Club - Are you a Member

Hi All!

I set two dozen Trader Joes egg for the 2015 New Years Day hatch a long. 17 of the eggs developed and I have hatched out 9 so far. I see a pip on one more egg and this is day 21.

Here are some of the first ones, the yellow ones:

Hi All!

I set two dozen Trader Joes egg for the 2015 New Years Day hatch a long. 17 of the eggs developed and I have hatched out 9 so far. I see a pip on one more egg and this is day 21.

Here are some of the first ones, the yellow ones:

SO cute! Congrats. I almost did the new years hatch but didn't.

I'm excited, my TJ girls are laying now! At six months old, they're steadily producing 6 pale brown eggs per hen each week. They're not quite as large as the eggs they hatched from, but are good large eggs still. I'm really happy with these hens, and a few of the boys made good cock-a-leekie soup for new years.

I'm so tempted to do more Trader Joe's eggs this year, but maybe I'll just do some eggs from my Australorp over the TJ girls instead.

SO cute! Congrats. I almost did the new years hatch but didn't.

I'm excited, my TJ girls are laying now! At six months old, they're steadily producing 6 pale brown eggs per hen each week. They're not quite as large as the eggs they hatched from, but are good large eggs still. I'm really happy with these hens, and a few of the boys made good cock-a-leekie soup for new years.

I'm so tempted to do more Trader Joe's eggs this year, but maybe I'll just do some eggs from my Australorp over the TJ girls instead.

That is nice to hear!

Did they look like the ones I hatched, yellow with spots? Are they Austra whites?

That is nice to hear!

Did they look like the ones I hatched, yellow with spots? Are they Austra whites?
I had some solid yellow, some yellow with spots. I had almost all boys, and all the solid yellow ones were boys so I don't know if they would have laid white or brown eggs. As far as I can tell, the girls are Austra Whites, or a fairly similar mix. Works for me, since I was looking to add Leghorns to make some Austra Whites. I just skipped a step instead.

Last edited:
I looked on line and made a few phone calls, Whole Market foods and TJ has fertile eggs, problem is I live 2 hours away from both. Whaa I figured I will jump right in once I am able to get them from the store. Challenge accepted! Woot!
1f604.png
1f60f.png

The more I'm looking at Google images and watching TeJae grow into a nice young pullet the more I think she may be a California White. Guess I'll know with the first egg in a month or so.

The more I'm looking at Google images and watching TeJae grow into a nice young pullet the more I think she may be a California White. Guess I'll know with the first egg in a month or so.
I hope so!

We are close enough that they should be from similar flocks.

I want to join! I always like a challenge! The Trader Joe's that is nearest me is two hours away! Any one know what other stores sell fertile eggs? I live on the west coast. Let me know, in the mean time I will just read.
1f60a.png
Winco and Whole Foods (as already mentioned). I've also heard (but not seen) that some Raleys and Holiday Markets also carry fertile eggs.

Good Luck!

I emailed a pic of my chicks to Chino Valley Ranchers indicating they hatched from TJ eggs. The guy told me they used both HyLine white hens and roosters for the fertile eggs.

The HyLine site: http://www.hyline.com/aspx/products/productinformation.aspx

Not sure which HyLine White these would be; as you can see from their site, they sport such cuddly names as HyLine W-36 and HyLine CV-22. I'm guessing HyLine takes steps to ensure its end result layers (and the accidental Roos that escape into laying facilities with the hens) don't breed true in order to protect their investment.

Back
Top Bottom