Trader Joes & Other Grocery Store Egg Hatching Club - Are you a Member

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by GardeNerd, Jan 29, 2010.

1. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    I'm trying it too, but don't think any of the eggs are developing. They're 4 days along and I don't see any veins yet - almost looks like scrambled yolks floating around in there. I'll wait a couple more days before giving up. I had placed 4 under my broody (she broke one already - probably thin shelled) and the other 8 in the bator.

2. ArizonaDesertChicks

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Quote:I was wrong - several of them are developing! I set them Monday morning - it's now Saturday night and I think there are about 7-8 of them that are developing now (broody broke one, so there's only 11 left). I orginally purchased the eggs to place under my broody, but I'm having second thought. I think the shells are thin in these eggs. Besides the one that the hen broke, one of the eggs in my bator is also cracked (no idea how).

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  3. Peep_Show

Peep_Show Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    Hooray! That is great news, ArizonaDesertChicks!

I've ordered up a few mail order eggs, but will fill out the incubator with TJ's once they're in place. I threw an additional thermometer or two into my incubator as I thought it felt kind of hot....oops. It was. (Acu-Rite thermometers are not). So whereas I had three starters, I believe they were inadvertently overheated. Sigh.... Live and learn!

I agree that the shells of these eggs leave a lot to be desired. Several in the last batch were kind of porous and they did break waaaay too easily. I wasn't jazzed with the extremely pale yolk color, either. I'm thinking that most likely these birds are on a commercial diet and don't see sunlight.

Keep us posted on your project's progress!

4. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    About a year ago, we set 12 light brown 'rock island fertile eggs' from Safeway. They were about 3 weeks old. We got 1 white chick, we named it "safeway" which I guess turned out not to be as original as we thought.... It did not turn into a barred rock or a rock of any type as we had hoped- but a big white rooster with orange tips & an unpleasant disposition. He did not stay long, though while we had him- he was a great story!

5. raimnel

raimnel Chillin' With My Peeps

Bump [​IMG]

I have 10 eggs from our local store and wanted to keep this somewhere on pg 1 or maybe 2, not 6?? Anyways happy hatching.
    Mine are 9 days in. AHHH 9 days in........... Oh my it's candling time.......... Now........... do I candle at 9.5 days or 10.5 days??????? That's a hard question! Any body know which day I'm gonna pick? [​IMG]

6. ArizonaDesertChicks

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Found another broken egg under broody today, so I guess the shells are not thick enough for a hen to sit on. I took the last 2 from her and put them in the incubator with the rest of the dozen. I threw out 3 clears today (day 7) and broke them to verify, definitely clear. So after throwing 3 out and the hen breaking two, there are 7 eggs left, but one of those had been cracked at the bottom (no idea how - those darn thin shells) and one looks like it has a blood ring (I'll candle again at day 10 to verify).

7. raimnel

of my 10 store boughts 7 look good and 3 may have blood rings but what do I know? so I will keep them and candle them on their day 11

8. crosbygroup

crosbygroup Chillin' With My Peeps

9. Peep_Show

Peep_Show Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    The adult hen I've seen on another thread was really cute!

10. raimnel

Well out of our 10 store bought eggs, 5 hatched. 4 yellow/white and 1 redish. I have no clue what kind they are.
    Here they are
    [​IMG]
    ETA ~ the temp is not right

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by