Trader Joes & Other Grocery Store Egg Hatching Club - Are you a Member

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by GardeNerd, Jan 29, 2010.

1. tlcmama

tlcmama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2012
    oh YEAH that little comb popped right up on the boys

2. tlcmama

tlcmama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2012
    im having a hard time resisting the urge to do another batch!

3. cluck-cluck

cluck-cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

LOL, Do It!! [​IMG]

4. chick4chix

chick4chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    Alexthechicken- My TJ leghorns are the sweetest of my flock! So far they are laying an egg a day and they began at 19 weeks old! They are curious, and LOVE to be picked up and held. I had leghorns only once before about 30 years ago and swore never again because they were so flighty and horrible to work with- flying straight into me if they perceived I was between them and escape. I had purchased those at 4 months old so perhaps that is why, because having raised these from the egg stage- I am in LOVE with the leghorns and will always have them in my flock from now on [​IMG]
    Cluckcluck- how are your eggs doing?? and you are absolutely right about the early sexing of leghorns- I knew two of my five were roos at about 3 weeks- and they began chest bumping, and going at each other with their non-existant spurs. I gave them away at 5 weeks old. My EE rooster didn't show his "maleness" until 17 weeks old- we were suspicious, but no real markers until he began to crow. He is now 22 weeks old and is a delightful roo- very gentle, and calm. Which is a good thing or he would be going onto Craigslist. His "harem" seems to love him too, and the leghorns seem especially fond of him and stay close- it's very cute.

Here are a couple of pix of the leghorns with my grandkids- they are very sweet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  5. cluck-cluck

Beautiful grandchildren!!! Yaaay for kids!! My eldest is 19 and claims she'll never have kids, ROFL, right! I can't wait!

Awesome birds too! Mine are over 7 weeks now, and my eggs started pipping this morning! It was cold last night, and you know how these houses are, so much like paper (and of course I enjoyed the cool air and didn't think) but the incubator got a bit cold last night, I don't know how long. I just hope they hatch. Like I said, two pips so far...no zips, but I do hear peeping.

I guess I'll try and see if anyone wants my roos on Craigslist. I was hoping they could move into the coop together for a while, since I only have 2 hens, but they've started crowing and I don't want to tick off my neighbors [​IMG]

6. chick4chix

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    YAY for pipping!! soooo EGGCITING! Take lots of pix and keep us posted!

7. cluck-cluck

Two are out, I hear others in there :)

8. chick4chix

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    YAY!! How many now??? I can hardly wait to hear how the hatch went :)

9. cluck-cluck

So far,7 are out. I tried my hand at vent sexing, and 2 are roos, for sure, then 5 should be pullets (but I coulda missed something, very tiny!!) I have one that died while zipping?? And 2 more eggs, one with a pip, and I thought I saw it move a few hours ago, the other, nothing. So I'm just waiting to see if more hatch.

10. chick4chix

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    YAHOO!!! congrats on vent sexing- it'll be interesting to see if it's right. I tried wing-feather sexing when mine were 3 days old and it turned out wrong :) but the boys made themselves known so young it didn't really matter. CONGRATS!! Can hardly wait to see photos! Are you having trouble posting on threads? I keep getting an error message and have no smilies available.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by