Trader Joes & Other Grocery Store Egg Hatching Club - Are you a Member

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by GardeNerd, Jan 29, 2010.

1. cluck-cluck

cluck-cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Really? Are you sure they were the kind that says "fertile" on the box? They look the same as the organic or free range (can't remember which) but they say different things. Has to say fertile on there. I have had really good fertility both times I did this. Also, make sure you get them as fresh as possible. The eggs are dated with the Julian calendar date, so today is day 298 (the 298th day of the year) You'll want to get as close to that date as possible, so something around 290 would be ok. I've heard some people got them within 4 days, but I don't think you'll get much closer than that :) Maybe give it another try?

2. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    They are definitely the fertile ones. My cochin got down a lot. Perhaps she is not the best mother. I think I will try again when my silkie goes broody.

3. cluck-cluck

Aww, so sorry about that :(

4. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Thanks cluck-cluck, I may just do that. I just like the idea of hatching store eggs. :/ Trader Joes keeps looking at opening a store here but they never do.

If you think of the "S" store, let me know. :)

5. bzbrown

bzbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

We also got two dozen TJ eggs last month. Let them set, then in the incubator and not one, not even one showed any sign of fertility. For that to happen with two dozen, I suspect there was a packaging error. I picked up a new dozen at a different TJ's yesterday and will set at some point this afternoon.

6. cluck-cluck

Ok, I think people have actually found them at Walmart, Safeway, SaveOn/Luckys/SaveMart (we no longer have Lucky's here [​IMG]) and Whole Foods. I don't know the fertility rate, but what I'd do, I mean if you'll eat them, is buy some, crack 4 open see how they are. If they're really fertile, try and hatch the rest, if all come up empty, eat the rest, LOL. Some people have had luck with Whole Foods, maybe you will?

7. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    If you can't find fertile eggs at a big name store, try a local food co-op, health food store or farmer's market. I bought a dozen eggs at the local food co-op. They weren't marked fertile, just free range, so I took my chances the person had a rooster. I think the store got suspicious because I spent so much time selecting my eggs. Literally I was mixing and matching between the cartons to select the color shells I wanted. I only ended up with one chick from the dozen, but it was a BC Marans. I named him Noah, the co-op's name is Noah's Ark.

Deb

8. kapie9969

kapie9969 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    You have me wondering about the eggs in my bator,maybe tonight ill candle them.They sure are big brown eggs! I guess having quail eggs by them dosent help.[​IMG]

9. cluck-cluck

I'm really hoping my leghorns will lay beautiful large eggs like what they hatched out of (only better) I have a couple of months to go though....

10. Nomibear

Nomibear Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2012
    Pleasanton Tx
    My Coop
    I have 5 brown eggs under my broody leghorn. For those of you who have hatched with brown eggs before, can you see growth with suc a dark shell? If so, what days did you candle?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by