Trader Joes & Other Grocery Store Egg Hatching Club - Are you a Member

Pics
Really? Are you sure they were the kind that says "fertile" on the box? They look the same as the organic or free range (can't remember which) but they say different things. Has to say fertile on there. I have had really good fertility both times I did this. Also, make sure you get them as fresh as possible. The eggs are dated with the Julian calendar date, so today is day 298 (the 298th day of the year) You'll want to get as close to that date as possible, so something around 290 would be ok. I've heard some people got them within 4 days, but I don't think you'll get much closer than that :) Maybe give it another try?

We also got two dozen TJ eggs last month. Let them set, then in the incubator and not one, not even one showed any sign of fertility. For that to happen with two dozen, I suspect there was a packaging error. I picked up a new dozen at a different TJ's yesterday and will set at some point this afternoon.

Ok, I think people have actually found them at Walmart, Safeway, SaveOn/Luckys/SaveMart (we no longer have Lucky's here
hit.gif
) and Whole Foods. I don't know the fertility rate, but what I'd do, I mean if you'll eat them, is buy some, crack 4 open see how they are. If they're really fertile, try and hatch the rest, if all come up empty, eat the rest, LOL. Some people have had luck with Whole Foods, maybe you will?

If you can't find fertile eggs at a big name store, try a local food co-op, health food store or farmer's market. I bought a dozen eggs at the local food co-op. They weren't marked fertile, just free range, so I took my chances the person had a rooster. I think the store got suspicious because I spent so much time selecting my eggs. Literally I was mixing and matching between the cartons to select the color shells I wanted. I only ended up with one chick from the dozen, but it was a BC Marans. I named him Noah, the co-op's name is Noah's Ark.

Deb

You have me wondering about the eggs in my bator,maybe tonight ill candle them.They sure are big brown eggs! I guess having quail eggs by them dosent help.
big_smile.png

I have 5 brown eggs under my broody leghorn. For those of you who have hatched with brown eggs before, can you see growth with suc a dark shell? If so, what days did you candle?

Back
Top Bottom