Trader Joes & Other Grocery Store Egg Hatching Club - Are you a Member

Pics
I really want to try this, but the TJ in St. Louis doesn't carry fertile eggs.
hit.gif

TonysChickens

Happy hatching! Keep us posted.... And don't forget the pictures!

- - -

I rehomed my chicks from the NYD's hatch. It turns out Token was a girl chick! (And probably now providing those second generation TJ eggs)

Last edited:
4 hatched so far and one pipped. i broke all the rules :) i helped them out and took them out before they fluffed up. will post woke pictures when i get them off the camera.

I tried to become a member. ABout 6 weeks ago I stopped at at a TJ's near my son's away soccer game. NADA. DH had already tried the Whole Foods and nothing there. I guess Massachusetts isn't the place for fertilized eggs at the grocery store.

Love seeing all the cute chicks!! Congrats to all that succeeded.

So my hatch is over.

I started with 12 TJ eggs. Ended up with 7 for lockdown. Of those 7, 5 hatched. One hatched on day 20, three on the morning of day 21, and the last one on the afternoon of day 21. The two non hatched eggs were late quitters.

I hatched these eggs while also incubating quail eggs at the same time, so I had a staggered hatching situation. My quail eggs just went into lockdown, so basically for the last 5 days, my incubator was in lockdown humidity mode.

I helped 4 of the chicks get out of the egg by cracking open the incubator, using a long piece of metal rod to help move the shell out of the way because there was no room. I had to use a divider between these eggs and the quail eggs in the turner.

I would call this a successful TJ egg experiment. I gave 2 chicks away already, and will probably give 2 more, and just keeping the first hatch chick.

Heres a video of the first egg hatching, and a pic of the three remaining chicks I have.

4 of my quail eggs in lockdown are wiggling! I had to candle them yesterday, and out of 100 set eggs, I have about 60 developing for lockdown. I hope to get at least 50% hatch on these.

My Delaware hen went broody so I put 6 TJ fertile eggs under her. I put them under her June 12th. I guess they might hatch July 3rd. I don't want to get my hopes up, thought. I tried candling some of them using a flashlight but I can't tell anything. My hen looks content.

I got my TJ's eggs :ya I brought them 1500 miles to get them home.

They are hatching. They didn't start hatching until day 22 and it is just one chick at a time. I think my biggest problem was the long drive home. They were slow developing and developed at a uneven rate. 48 eggs went down to 24 at 10 days. Out of those I don't expect all of them to hatch. Day 23 is half over and I've still got pips in eggs.

Even with such a high loss, I think I'd do it again. I'd have to do it in better driving weather and when I knew we were coming straight home. I'll add pictures to this when I take some.

There is a TJ store 15 miles from my house.:p

I need an incubator or a broody. I may just try a couple.

Back
Top Bottom