Rear wall, leaving a gap ~3" for the eggs to roll through
V8rZ2SU.jpg

Made 6 of these for dividers
niFHzsw.jpg

Looking like it will work
JwtJFTB.jpg

Repeat those steps for the bottom row
VVX21AN.jpg

I forgot the bottom is taller than the top and decided to add a little height to them
lITUNn4.jpg

Either way, it's coming together! Put some finishing touches on and it looks half way decent!

T6quDoe.jpg

LOL! The boy is on a roll!!

You will find that 2-3 of those nests will get used, the rest will collect dust.

Hahah, I know!! I didn't need 8 boxes for 25ish chickens but 6 didn't seem like enough and I like even numbers :D

Tried my best to make sure the lower boxes are comfy. I bet the top ones never get used.

I also might need to block access to the top of the box if it becomes a roosting and pooping area!

You have been doing your research.

(PS I found an ex-house trailer axle with leaf springs that I can probably get under $100. It is 8' 4" wide so can do an 8' by 12' coop with only minor indents for the wheels. Has weather checked tires so with inner tubes will last longer than me. Will have to build the foundation frame a bit stronger than otherwise but..., My mind is spinning with possibilities.]

Last edited:
Another thought.

Don't push your space per chicken allocation. I have a 10' by 16' Woods and had 15 birds, 4 cockerels so recently reduced to 12. The tranquility that resulted was unreal. True most of that was losing the "manliness" of four teenage males but it taught me the value of lots of space and no competition in the coop.

I don't know your plans but think 25 ladies is too much for a single rooster (@aart?) and 2 roosters with a dozen each will be TOO MUCH in your space. I like the balance that results from both male and female presence in the flock; everyone is happier and you can renew your flock without spending money. (A "cocky" male is a joy to behold!)

I am not an expert so others may disagree but going through the thought process of what and how you will manage your flock is worth starting now.

Last edited:
You are right about the space. Total floor space is about 12.5 x 6.5 inside of the walls. Current plan is for only girls in this coop.

I have never kept a rooster and didn't plan to in this coop. If breeding I think I will do a bachelor pad. I've read a lot on that subject as well, however there's a famous quote from a boxer that says...everyone has a plan 'til they get punched in the face!

Aka...I might have a rooster worth keeping so we'll see what happens! If I keep roosters with these girls, think I would create 2 roosting areas, but that's a different discussion!! :D :D

Again, you've given me some things to consider! :) These girls will be inside e-netting, having a ton of room to feel like they're free ranging.

On a side note, I was inside the coop during wind and believe a majority of the snow blown in the previous storm was caused by the open soffits of the nest box! Not the roof. The amount of air coming up through the nest box lifted my hat. I do have fascia, though they gave me the wrong size, but I might be slow to put it on if the open soffits prove to not be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom