Train 3 month old Embden Goose to not run away from humans?

TheGooseLord

Songster
Jul 17, 2018
Columbiana, Ohio
I have a goose that I'm training to walk on a leash and communicate with the environment. He will eat out of your hands and let you pet him but he runs away when you approach him. any help?

Attachments

• 20190711_104633.png
    20190711_104633.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 33
No tips here...even though mine are friendly and eat from your hand...they still walk away from me if they think I'm trying to catch them and pick them up. Love the picture of your dirty birds! Looks like they were making mud pies! :lau

Goose instinct is to run away from anything approaching them. So the cardinal rule is to always let them approach you.

When I trained my goose to let me put a diaper harness on her, I lured her close to me with treats. She learned quickly, and in a few days I only had to hold up the harness and show it to her, and she would run to me and practically stand on my lap to get her treat. She would get one treat for getting close to me, another when I was done putting the harness on her, and a third when I let go of her and stood up.

I do the same thing now when I have to put my geese in the bicycle trailer. Slow movements, lure them in with a treat, and they're quietly scooped up before they even realize I reached for them. They get one treat for getting close to me, and another when they're both in the trailer and I've closed it.

I've sometimes slipped up out of impatience. One step too quickly towards them, and it may take days (and many treats) to get back in the routine. It often feels as if I am the one being trained :D.

I have to be sitting on the ground and let them approach me. One of my geese will let me pick her up for a cuddle but the others like verbal acknowledgment mostly. If I’m on their level I can give chest scratches. So maybe get on his level and give treats.

I have a goose that I'm training to walk on a leash and communicate with the environment. He will eat out of your hands and let you pet him but he runs away when you approach him. any help?

try walk next to them instead of approaching from the front. When you approach them from the front, they would run away. My geese don't run away when I approach them from front or side.. I guess they are used to me handling them everyday.

Patience is the key. Also talk to them often. Good luck!

Geese get intimated if you walk towards them (even if they're tame). Like someone mentioned walk not towards but at their side.

No fast movements either because they'll get triggered.

Slow and steady and talking is super important.

Geese are hard to train if not raised from the moment of hatch but there are always ways to do it.

I bought a gander and 4 geese years back and all were super shy but time came by and they all got tame.

Personality of the goose is also a way to know how to approach him/her

Best way to train and tame is using food. Food is key

Back
Top Bottom