Training silkies for a nipple feeder

DuckNana207

Chirping
May 26, 2020
Wisconsin
I have silkie bantam we wanted to switch to a nipple water system. We had it in their pen for a few days, and they didn't seem to get how to use it. We put it in place of their other water, but at the end of the day I would set thier old waterer in and they acted very thirsty. I showed them morning and night how the water comes out of the nipple and even held them up to show them with their beak. Any other advice, or suggestions? Any luck with wedging treats in by the nipple? Thanks!

I haven't had to train an adult Silkie, I usually teach chicks, but you just tap it until they are interested. Make sure you get them fully hydrated, then take out the old waterer. Are the nipples located low or high relative to the bird's body? I use a gallon container and set it up on a cinder block so the nipple is about shoulder height. Might want to wet the crest or use a small hair tie to get the fluff out of the way for the first day or two to be sure the bird knows what's going on and go tap on the nipple as often as you can throughout the day.

I haven't had to train an adult Silkie, I usually teach chicks, but you just tap it until they are interested. Make sure you get them fully hydrated, then take out the old waterer. Are the nipples located low or high relative to the bird's body? I use a gallon container and set it up on a cinder block so the nipple is about shoulder height. Might want to wet the crest or use a small hair tie to get the fluff out of the way for the first day or two to be sure the bird knows what's going on and go tap on the nipple as often as you can throughout the day.
My son has asked to get "chicken headbands!" No better excuse😂 I'll have to give it a try! And I will make sure it is at chest height. I think I had it slightly lower.

My son has asked to get "chicken headbands!" No better excuse😂 I'll have to give it a try! And I will make sure it is at chest height. I think I had it slightly lower.
I have been trying to devise something myself, nothing I use stays put very long, but I haven't looked for a commercial solution or just tied a ribbon on just yet 😆 the tiny clear hair elastic work okay but slid off slowly.

I have been trying to devise something myself, nothing I use stays put very long, but I haven't looked for a commercial solution or just tied a ribbon on just yet 😆 the tiny clear hair elastic work okay but slid off slowly.
I will keep those options in mind 😆, and if I happen to find something that works well, I will share it!

Back
Top Bottom