Lyndssxo08

Songster
5 Years
May 3, 2018
Purcellville, VA
My Coop
My Coop
Hi everyone!

I have had a hen (Missy) in my house recovering from a prolapsed vent about 3 weeks ago, and I have been waiting for her to get better which she made an amazing recovery and has laid a few eggs while inside (I’m waiting on the weather to get warmer to transition her back outside - or basically using that as an excuse for my husband so I can keep her inside longer, but shhhhh don’t tell him I said that ) and I just had a thought - right now I have 9 eggs in my incubator on day 12 and 1 I can tell is definitely not fertile and the rest are looking amazing! (fingers crossed) so I was going to toss the one, but just to be funny I put it in Missy’s cage to see if she would accept it and it didn’t even take a minute before she had it rolled under her and she was sitting on it looking all happy go lucky.

Anywhooooo what is everyone’s thoughts on me transferring the eggs to under her? She’s only about 8-9 months and a pretty new layer, so she’s never raised chicks or tried hatching any eggs before. I don’t want to have anything happen to these eggs I have in the incubator now, but lately we have had power outages here and there (luckily not for longer than like 5 mins) and the last thing I want to do is have the incubator off with me not knowing while I’m at work and it killing the chicks. I figured why not take advantage of Missy being in the house by putting these eggs under her? Any thoughts or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. The last few times I have incubated I have had 100% success rate so having a chick not make it would hurt my heart for sure. Thanks everyone in advance! ♥️

Unless your hen is for sure broody, you will be compromising your hatch.......
With her repairing from a prolapsed vent, I don’t think I’d take the risk!
Good luck with your hatch :jumpy and your sweet hen!

Back
Top Bottom