Transition to outdoors

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SammileeChickie, Mar 9, 2015.

1. SammileeChickie

SammileeChickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2015
    Southern California
    Hello everyone :) right now I have two chicks living in doors in the brooder. One is almost three weeks and the other is one week.
    When did you guys move them outside to the coop or how did you determine they are ready.?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

3. Lost Bird

Lost Bird Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2014
    North Texas
    I'm new with chicks as well, but did some research and they need to be fully feathered before they can modulate their own temperature - which is approximately 6 weeks.

My chicks are now a bit over 5 weeks. In less than 2 weeks they will transition; I'll miss their continual beeping (their brooder is in our bathtub). OTOH I will be so glad to thoroughly clean the bathroom!

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    They may still need heat but they can begin enjoying outings outdoors on nice days. I like to bring my two-week olds out for romps. I keep their carrier handy for them to zip back into if they feel chilled, and of course you want to protect them from older chickens.

But their heat needs aren't completely over until they've completely feathered out around six weeks. If you've been weaning them off heat every week, they may be feathered out by four weeks. You'll know by their behavior when you remove the heat if they're ready to be without it.

5. TheEggCollecter

TheEggCollecter Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    Massachusettes
    Atleast six weeks. Some breeds take longer to get all there feathers. So i would say once they are all feathered out.

6. SammileeChickie

SammileeChickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2015
    Southern California
    Okay thank you :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by