Transition to outdoors

SammileeChickie

Songster
Mar 7, 2015
Southern California
Hello everyone :) right now I have two chicks living in doors in the brooder. One is almost three weeks and the other is one week.
When did you guys move them outside to the coop or how did you determine they are ready.?

I'm new with chicks as well, but did some research and they need to be fully feathered before they can modulate their own temperature - which is approximately 6 weeks.

My chicks are now a bit over 5 weeks. In less than 2 weeks they will transition; I'll miss their continual beeping (their brooder is in our bathtub). OTOH I will be so glad to thoroughly clean the bathroom!

They may still need heat but they can begin enjoying outings outdoors on nice days. I like to bring my two-week olds out for romps. I keep their carrier handy for them to zip back into if they feel chilled, and of course you want to protect them from older chickens.

But their heat needs aren't completely over until they've completely feathered out around six weeks. If you've been weaning them off heat every week, they may be feathered out by four weeks. You'll know by their behavior when you remove the heat if they're ready to be without it.

Back
Top Bottom