Transitioning from roofed to roofless run

Pics
Does your town also have rules about fence height? Or actually obstructing the view? Make sure it's all unassailably legal first.
Mary
I called the town and left a voicemail, I definitely want to make sure this is fully legal before I do anything. Fence height limit is 7' without a permit, you can go higher but need a permit because of wind considerations. I'm not on a corner and not blocking traffic views, so that's fine. I want clarification on what this netting counts as, and how high up I can go.

Yeah, not a lot of real options in terms of live plants, because I want coverage year-round.

I was thinking of getting some of this - lightweight, obscures the view but lets wind move through:
View attachment 2381746 View attachment 2381751

Not for the roof - the building commissioner told me not to put anything over it, not even greenhouse plastic - but to stretch it above the privacy fence to extend it up another 10 feet or so.

Going 10' up and keeping it stable could be a challenge......

Going 10' up and keeping it stable could be a challenge......
Yeah, I'll need to think of something. On one side, there's a giant tree that I'll anchor it to for the whole height. Just need to think of something for the other side, and if I need anything in the middle. I can use the posts of the privacy fence to anchor taller posts to for the netting. Maybe metal pipe, like for chain link fencing, so it won't snap like wood would?

Part of me is creeped out that he is considering YOUR back yard as his "scenic view".
😳

Bamboo!!!! I think there is a variety that can survive where you are.
https://newenglandbambooco.com/#:~:text=New England Bamboo is dedicated to providing quality,as well as a selection of native grasses.
Maybe really tall decorative grasses.....planted in a 2' tall raised bed so they are even taller.....
Ew! Good point.
For the bamboo, make sure it is the clumping kind. You do NOT want to get the runner kind. These are actually illegal in some areas because they are invasive and can grow anywhere, even through structures.

Yep. Entitled. If that's his biggest problem right now, he must have a really nice life. Also, he just recently moved here, into a town with long-standing chicken traditions, and wants to change the rules. This is happening elsewhere in the town, too. Another agenda item last night was a property that has always had horses, had a new neighbor move in who is now complaining about the horses and asking for more restrictions :rant

I have never understood the desire of some to leave the place they are, attracted by some different place's character, only to then attempt to remake it into the very thing they are leaving...

I wish you fortune in your efforts, and worry that this will be an unending hassle until one of you is simply too worn from the effort to continue. My sincere condolences.

Back
Top Bottom