Transparent Egg - What caused it?

One_chick_Mama

In the Brooder
Mar 5, 2019
My little Dee Dee finally started laying in the nest box and not in the neighbor's yard. She's a good layer and averages 2-3 a day. But this morning I found this in the nest box next to a regular egg. at first glance I thought it was a brown egg. What caused it and how do I fix it? I feed her table scraps, and a cracked corn mix. Should I be buying laying pellets or something else? I'm new at this.
egg.jpg

Attachments

cleoandtheflock

Crowing
Jan 16, 2019
Georgia
Did you mean week or daily for laying eggs 2 to 3 because chickens can’t lay eggs 2 to 3 times a day
How many chickens do you have?
Also she needs calcium in her diet for strong eggs layer feed already contains it cracked corn mix and table scraps is not a complete diet for a laying hen
Do you have a picture of your hen?

PirateGirl

Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist
Mar 11, 2017
South Park, Colorado, USA
or maybe she is laying that many eggs a day, which would explain why some come out soft-shelled or shell-less...

Either way, your chicken would benefit from oyster shell in a bowl where she can eat as much of it as she wants whenever she wants. If the problem continues it could be a sign of something more serious going on, but if it's just a one time fluke, it's nothing to be concerned about.

One_chick_Mama

In the Brooder
Mar 5, 2019
I have just the one hen. I'm sure she isn't really laying 2-3 times a day. There is usually only one egg in the nest box & today there was this and one whole egg.

cleoandtheflock

Crowing
Jan 16, 2019
Georgia
It takes 26 hours for an egg to fully form so something might be happening in her reproductive system
Are you planning on getting more chickens usually chickens do better in a flock

Top Bottom