Transparent Egg - What caused it?

One_chick_Mama

In the Brooder
Mar 5, 2019
My little Dee Dee finally started laying in the nest box and not in the neighbor's yard. She's a good layer and averages 2-3 a day. But this morning I found this in the nest box next to a regular egg. at first glance I thought it was a brown egg. What caused it and how do I fix it? I feed her table scraps, and a cracked corn mix. Should I be buying laying pellets or something else? I'm new at this.
egg.jpg

Attachments

• egg.jpg
    egg.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 10
Did you mean week or daily for laying eggs 2 to 3 because chickens can’t lay eggs 2 to 3 times a day
How many chickens do you have?
Also she needs calcium in her diet for strong eggs layer feed already contains it cracked corn mix and table scraps is not a complete diet for a laying hen
Do you have a picture of your hen?

or maybe she is laying that many eggs a day, which would explain why some come out soft-shelled or shell-less...

Either way, your chicken would benefit from oyster shell in a bowl where she can eat as much of it as she wants whenever she wants. If the problem continues it could be a sign of something more serious going on, but if it's just a one time fluke, it's nothing to be concerned about.

I have just the one hen. I'm sure she isn't really laying 2-3 times a day. There is usually only one egg in the nest box & today there was this and one whole egg.

Back
Top Bottom