Transporting a turkey tomorrow - questions.

lengel

Songster
11 Years
Apr 30, 2008
MA
What's the best way to transport a turkey?

I was thinking a large dog crate so that she could move around but now I'm thinking that a smaller space might be better so that she can't flap her wings at all. The big crate isn't big enough for her full wing span so she might hit her wings against the side.

She will be in the truck for several hours because I will need DH's help to load her up before he goes to work in the morning.

I think a large dog crate would be fine. It need to be able to turn around and be comfortable if it's going to be a long time like you say. For a short time I would suggest a smaller one.

If you don't have a big area, and you will be using AC, you can always use the feed sack method. Take an empty feed sack, plastic kind is better, cut a hole in the corner so you can put turkeys head and neck through. Pull sack up and around body, hold legs together and add some shavings etc in sack by the poop area, lol. This will help keep her clean. Wrap extra sack down by legs and then zip tie legs, sack together. I do this with peafowl that have full trains.
smile.png

I think tighter quarters would be better than overly large space. Don't worry about the wing span -- I would worry about her crashing around in there as you stop and start and make turns. Make sure it has nice soft straw or something non-moving for bedding. I don't really understand the above method, but I always worry my turkeys will injure a leg while being moved. They tend to lie down under most circumstances (being in a box) though, in my experience.
Be careful with such a long drive.

The sack method works well for small quarters or having to haul a lot of turkey or peafowl. Think Turkey Lolly pop............. to get a better idea, he he. I never had one injure a leg, just make sure their legs are bound snugly and lay them on their side. I normally give them some bread to snack on too, and they are happy as can be, LOL.

The turkey is in the crate.

Actually not nearly as difficult as I thought. I used the sack method in part to keep her wings close to her by taking a huge towel with a hole in one end, putting her head through the hole and holding the towel against her body. Then I just kind of walked her in. She's a giant bird so I was afraid to pick her up.

So she's all settled in the shade with food and water and we'll leave in a couple of hours.

Thank you all for your help. Whenever I feel overwhelmed I know I can come here for great ideas.

Back
Top Bottom