Oct 15, 2021
Ok so this is the first time I had to deal with flystrike. My hen was sick with a tumor, and when I came back from a week-long vacation, she had gone downhill very quickly. The next night, she was sleeping in the run (which is not normal). Some of her back tail feathers were missing and so I went to investigate and, for those of you who know what flystrike is, you know what I saw. Her whole tail was just covered. It was like 9:00 at night, it was dark out, and I spent two hours cleaning her up. She had wounds around her tail feathers, and one that was deep above her vent. It was bad and the outlook wasn’t very good for her. It was just too much for her; she died overnight. I was just wondering if anyone else had this experience and if flystrike is common.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear you lost her.

Flystrike can be seen more often during hot weather, but it can affect any bird that has had injury or is not well.
Do an onsite search here on BYC and you will find numerous threads about Flystrike, some are successful with treatment, some are not.

I'm sorry to hear you lost her.

Flystrike can be seen more often during hot weather, but it can affect any bird that has had injury or is not well.
Do an onsite search here on BYC and you will find numerous threads about Flystrike, some are successful with treatment, some are not.
Yeah, it’s been very hot where we are in PA, so it makes sense. She was pretty sick before, which just made it too much for her to recover from.

Back
Top Bottom