Traumatized Ducks

Mama Duck92

Hatching
Sep 25, 2018
I used to have three ducks that roamed freely in my yard. They've never stayed in their pen or even got into our porch. Just lived a happy life, until last week when they were attacked by raccoons in the middle of the night
We were able to save two of them, but the raccoons got away with our smaller female duck. And one had an injured leg,but has since gotten better..
Now the remaining two will not get off of my front porch! They sleep right underneath my bedroom window, where I check on them constantly throughout the night, losing sleep because I think I'm just as traumatized as they are!
My question is, how can I help them to feel more relaxed, so that I can start sleeping better as well? Should i build a different pen or duck house for them? Any advice welcome TIA.
15378932886466571434115400591181.jpg

They should start acting normally in a few days(sometimes more). It takes time for them to get over traumatizing events just like people. My geese were attacked by dogs while free ranging last week, and wouldn't leave their enclosure for a few days and were spooked by the sounds of barking dogs. They got better after about 4 days.
I would suggest building some sort of shelter for them to prevent any future attacks from predators.
If they don't like their pen, try giving them treats and food in the pen and lock then in it at night. They will eventually get used to it and treats reward them for staying in the pen.

They should start acting normally in a few days(sometimes more). It takes time for them to get over traumatizing events just like people. My geese were attacked by dogs while free ranging last week, and wouldn't leave their enclosure for a few days and were spooked by the sounds of barking dogs. They got better after about 4 days.
I would suggest building some sort of shelter for them to prevent any future attacks from predators.
If they don't like their pen, try giving them treats and food in the pen and lock then in it at night. They will eventually get used to it and treats reward them for staying in the pen.
Any advice on what kind of enclosure

In our experience with ducks, we have to force them in their pen. It will be freezing out and they would still stand outside (we don't want them to get frostbite). You may have to take that approach to help keep them safe at night.
I just dont want to stress them out more than they already are! They used to follow me around the yard, and now they run anytime someone or something gets near.. although they do settle down at night if they hear my voice through my window. I just feel like I've failed to protect them.

So sorry for your loss. :hugs. May I suggest that you get a large dog crate and predator proof the door with hardware cloth (coons can reach in if you don't). Keep them in there at night until you can come up with another plan. Maybe this will help the three of you sleep better at night.
dogcrate_1.jpg

Any advice on what kind of enclosure
Any type of coop or a large completely covered cage like/ run type enclosure would work. Mine has a wood frame In a rectangular shape for the walls and there is kennel wire on the frame. It has the kennel wire for the roof too. As long as it keeps the ducks contained and keeps predators out. There are probably some threads on BYC that have coop and run ideas.

Back
Top Bottom