Traveling with a Duck

HeatherKellyB

✝️ Perfectly Imperfect ✝️
May 31, 2019
Moore County, NC
Hello friends! I'm hoping to gain some insight and learn some tips and tricks about traveling with a duck in your vehicle. My Pekin duck, Honey Boo Boo, has an appt tomorrow afternoon with a vet. Unfortunately the office is 1.5 hours away. I was unable to find an avian vet closer by. If this visit wasn't necessary, I wouldn't stress her out with this trip, but she needs to be checked for a chronic problem that has been going on for far too long. We'll be traveling in my Toyota Sequoia (SUV). There is an area in the back behind the 3rd row seats or I can remove the seats. My concerns are her stress level, her poops, that can go a bit of distance on occasion, and keeping her as clean as possible. Thankfully her poop doesn't smell too bad, so the odor isn't of concern. I thought about using a wire dog crate which would safely contain her but I don't like the idea of her having to sit in her poop and this won't contain those poops that travel. I considered placing puppy potty pads on the sides, but this won't help keep her sanitary. Do you have any idea's that may help or have you traveled with a duck before? Please share anything. I'll be so grateful for the help.

I always use a crate with pine shavings on the bottom. Some shavings will get on the seat or ground (the amount depends on how wriggly the bird is) but I don't mind. I think a kennel or crate is the best way to go.

Good luck and have a great day!

Thank you for your time and for your reply. Do you place a towel or anything over the crate to catch those poops that shoot out horizontally and to help make the duck feel safer? What about food and water? Would you advise that I stop and offer either during the trip or just have it available for her before we leave, once we arrive at the vet, and then after we get back home? Thanks again for your help

Our vet is 45-60 minutes away and we have to visit frequently. I use a plastic dog crate that is quite tall, as my duck stands the entire time. I fold two bath towels and put them on the bottom. They give her traction and absorb poop mess. I bring extra towels and swap them out after the visit is over. I also drape a sheet over the top to help her feel less afraid.

The crate we use has a solid bottom and several inches up so it catches projectile horizontal poops. I don't give food or water during the trip. When we arrive I let her drink water from a cup that I hold and I put a few mealworms in it. The first few times she was too stressed to eat them. Now she knows the vets aren't going to eat her so she waddles out and looks up at me like, "where are the bugs?"

I transport my friend's ducks and I just put down towels on the backseat (I have a truck) and then I put a dog crate ontop of it. I use pine shavings or straw. I would say bring extra shavings to cover up smell. Straw can help with being sanitary (in my opinion). Personally, straw keeps down odor and doesn't get matted down (with poop). PLUS the bird can't really push it out of the cage.
Just something else, I like to put cardboard around the bottom 1/4 of the crate, this prevents the straw/shavings from escaping the crate. It also lets the bird snuggle down.

I know you're talking about a duck, not quail, but my quail get really stressed out, so I put towels over their crates- do that if your duck is stressed.

Thank you for your time and for your reply. Do you place a towel or anything over the crate to catch those poops that shoot out horizontally and to help make the duck feel safer? What about food and water? Would you advise that I stop and offer either during the trip or just have it available for her before we leave, once we arrive at the vet, and then after we get back home? Thanks again for your help
I don't do anything with a towel, but my crates are plastic on all sides but one. If your duck is stressed a towel would be a great idea!

Let her drink right before you leave and once you get there. Personally, I think she will be fine for an hour and a half drive but stopping a couple times along the way isn't a bad idea. I have driven my chickens as far as an hour away, multiple times. The car was normal-cool temperature and the chickens did not appear very thirsty upon arrival.

Once again, best wishes!

I know it’s a little late but our boys ride in a laundry basket that is seatbelted in. We bring a couple old blankets (big ones) that go up and over the edges of the basket because they can, and will, use their butts as poop grenade launchers.

Attachments

• 022025C5-4C3E-4A92-8EEF-0815CAC44EAD.jpeg
    022025C5-4C3E-4A92-8EEF-0815CAC44EAD.jpeg
    412.1 KB · Views: 19

Back
Top Bottom