Treating frostbite

I don’t treat any degree of frostbite. Putting Vaseline on AFTER the fact causes more harm than good. If you haven’t put Vaseline on PRIOR to frigid temperatures it’s too late. I did an experiment one year Vaseline next year No Vaseline there was no difference my large single combed birds still had some burnt tips. The ones that lost the most tissue the first year did not have as much the second year. I believe it was because the tips were already gone from the year prior.
ETA: the amount of Vaseline is a thin coat as if you were putting it on your lips. A small amount worked into the comb.

When a chicken gets frostbite on his/her comb or wattles, how do you choose to treat it?
Minor vs Severe frostbite.

I've treated my cases of minor frostbite with lots of R&R and some Petroleum Jelly.
But now, as a few probably already know, I have a Leghorn hen whose entire comb is severely frostbitten.
She presented with a frozen solid comb, which slowly turned dark purple. Now her comb is lighter but completely swollen, cracked, bleeding and oozing clear fluid.
How would you choose to treat this?
Prevention is key, but if that fails then treatment options are needed.

Cyprus

See article:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/frostbite-in-chickens.74710/

Thks for offer of photo Cyprus but already done!

I'm starting to think it's better just to not treat it.
At this point, my attention is more keenly focused on her recovering from, and not repeating being egg bound.
And moving more than the bare minimum. She isn't interested in solid food or much water.
Her not being interested in food could be due to the pain of the frostbite. Id still do some vetrycin. If shes still not eating and was egg bound id be concerned you have something else going on. Pain causes stress which leads to lethargy and no appetite. Try to get her to eat with a warm mash or scrambled eggs. You could try to encourage eating with a pippet filled with a watery mash. Has she laid at all?

The purpling is usually the long term result of frostbite and after injury is complete. I wouldn’t put her in a refreezing environment. Keep clean dry and above freezing temps to avoid reinjury. Complete injury is appreciated at 3-6 weeks. Do not touch or remove any part of comb. Monitor for infection. She may not eat much if in pain from frostbite or recovering from being eggbound. I would just watch to see if she picks up on own appetite and drinking water. Poor thing! When it rains, it pours.

Her not being interested in food could be due to the pain of the frostbite. Id still do some vetrycin. If shes still not eating and was egg bound id be concerned you have something else going on. Pain causes stress which leads to lethargy and no appetite. Try to get her to eat with a warm mash or scrambled eggs. You could try to encourage eating with a pippet filled with a watery mash. Has she laid at all?
She has not laid since I removed the soft egg today

Back
Top Bottom