Treating Lice and Mites

I haven't use Elector PSP.. yet but if others have used it with efficacy for lice then I wouldn't waste time using the Ivermectin.

Permethrin.. sold as "horse fly spray".. a Small spritz below the vent, under each wing pit, and to nape pf the back of neck at the base of the head is COMPLETELY effective against lice and a fair number of mite species.. It's the synthetic version pyrethrin extract from chrysanthemum.. Sold under many brand names and concentrations (ready to use spritz or mix you own) in the equine section.. IS labeled for use on chicken (NOT safe ON cats) and NO egg withdrawal required.. even safe on chicks, broody hens, etc.. at a fraction of the cost of the PSP.. Under $10.. treat again in 10-14 days, according to direction for species being treated.

If you have the PSP already.. wait for others who have used it before using the ivermectin which is not labeled for use in chickens and doe s require an egg withdrawal, usual recommendation is 2 weeks.

FWIW, winter time is when poultry lice are most prevalent in MY location..

The nits/dead egg will NOT disappear even if the treatment has been effective.. according to MY experience/understanding.. So when once you do your follow up treatment.. (usually easiest done with a flashlight after dark keeping it dim).. then the following inspections.. don't treat again UNLESS you see BUGS or still angry red skin.. In extreme cases a third treatment MIGHT be needed..

Don't forget your wildlife load that's bringing the pest in the first place.. apparently rats, etc.. can be vectors of many things SO pay attention to any possible entry/return points that they may be coming in by. Some things may be worse seasonally or only in certain years. There's NO such thing as eradication, per say.. so follow up with a monthly check and treat only when needed..

The PSP, Ivermectin, and even permethin have variable efficacy throughout different regions probably due to overuse, lack of follow through, etc. So while there's no one perfect answer.. the products we are discussing here have been used for decades around the world EVEN on humans..

Ivermectin is also VERY effective if administered during the infectious stage of Sars Cov2 aka Covid 19, *sshhh*.. big pharm and the government don't want us to know!

This link says she uses PSP for lice..

https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

Fighting lice, mites, etc is a worthy fight. Hang in there and don't give up! :fl

Sorry to hear about your DE issues.. I hope you will write up an article or share the TRUTH every time you get a chance.. I sit firmly in the anti DE camp for a multitude of reasons. But living in the PNW where the birds often enjoy worm/bug hunting in the rain.. no "dust" product is a good choice for ME. The permethirn spritz I suggested is a SMALL spray NOT a soaking at all, feathers parted so it hits the skin.

What's funny/sad is that it was DE that caused your paranoia.. an alleged natural or organic compound.. like arsenic and cyanide.. and ricin.. organic and/or natural is not always safer than synthetic or a better alternative! :confused:
Do you have any ivermectin instructions? It's never labeled for poultry, only cows horses and sheep. My local poultry vet wouldn't do anything without paying for them to look and say "yup you have northern fowl mites". Permethrin is doing very little to help. I'm frustrated.

I use a backpack sprayer but I have a lot of coops and when I treat one coop I treat them all. You need to repeat treatments for 3 or 4 weeks so as the pests eggs hatch out they will be eliminated too. You can also use a gallon sprayer with a wand to reach the hard to reach areas. I also have a gallon sprayer with a wand. Works great. Good luck...

Attachments

• GallonSprayer.jpeg
    GallonSprayer.jpeg
    352.3 KB · Views: 1
  • scottsGallonsprayer.jpg
    scottsGallonsprayer.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 1
One reason the permethrin isn't working is your mixture isn't strong enough. This is for Permethrin 10. One ounce will maybe give the mites or lice a headache but will not eliminate them.
View attachment 2564875
Here are the dilution rates for the various concentrates of permethrin 10, 13.3 and 36.8
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/permethrin-dilution.1448295/post-24089092
Thanks for the link. I use a backpack sprayer as well. If I soak the visible mites they die but the it has no lasting effect on the bird or in nesting box. I soak the nesting box only to find more mites on my egg the next day. I sprinkle poultry dust and same story. I followed the directions on the bottle. Next question would be what is the desired concentration and is the ounce measurement per gallon?

Unfortunately she is stuck in the garage recovering from an injury and I know that is a better environment for the mites out of sun but now I cant put her with the rest because how bad this infestation is. Yesterday I took her cage out, cleaned thoroughly, sprayed with permethrin, fresh bedding, and this photo from today.

Some pet shampoos have permethrin in them. I always bathe my birds prior to a show. It will help. If it's chilly out I use a hair dryer to dry the birds.

Back
Top Bottom