Can I use ivermectin and safeguard?? Please let me know!

Fenbendazole is very safe to give to birds; studies have shown that a dosage up to 100 times the recommended dosage may have no side effects. However, ivermectin can be toxic to birds if the recommended dosage is exceeded. (Unlike with mammals where high dosages of Ivermectin have no side effects). So Ivermectin is the med you want to be careful with when medicating birds.
Thank you so much! I want to be as safe as possible!!

Ivermectin is no longer considered an effective treatment for worms, be they cecal or otherwise.
Flubendazole and Fenbendazole are considered effective and safe.
Regarding the mite treatment.
There is a problem often overlooked with using Ivermectin for mite and lice treatment. The mites have to bite the bird to ingest the drug; the lice do not feed off the bird usually but on the dead skin and oils secreted by the bird.

Having a chicken walking around with mites isn't a problem. It's the mites biting and feeding off the chicken that's the problem. Ideally one wants to kill the mites without them feeding off the chicken and this in my opion makes Ivermectin unsuitable for all mite control bar depluming mite and at times scaly leg mite which may not be practical to treat with a pesticide.

Get some Permethrin for the mites and lice. It kills on contact with the mites and lice and this means hopefully the pests get killed before they can take another bite out of your chicken.

sounds great! Also, how much of the safeguard paste should I give each chicken. I’ve seen people mention cc and ml, but I don’t understand it too well? I’ve also seen people say to give each chicken a pea size dose, but others say that dosage is wrong. And is it possible to overdose safeguard Paste? Sorry about all the questions I just want to be sure! Thanks.
cc and ml are the same amount - one of the deliberate oddities of the metric system.

Beyond that, I'd have to do the math. Pea sized dose is what I have seen recommended here by people on BYC whom I trust, whose experience with poultry illness and injury is FAR FAR greater than my own.
I know the safeguard drench is 1ml/12lb ……so pea sized amount per chicken of the paste sounds logical but a more accurate dosage for individual weight would be safer route

Last edited:
Ivermectin is no longer considered an effective treatment for worms, be they cecal or otherwise.
Flubendazole and Fenbendazole are considered effective and safe.
Regarding the mite treatment.
There is a problem often overlooked with using Ivermectin for mite and lice treatment. The mites have to bite the bird to ingest the drug; the lice do not feed off the bird usually but on the dead skin and oils secreted by the bird.

Having a chicken walking around with mites isn't a problem. It's the mites biting and feeding off the chicken that's the problem. Ideally one wants to kill the mites without them feeding off the chicken and this in my opion makes Ivermectin unsuitable for all mite control bar depluming mite and at times scaly leg mite which may not be practical to treat with a pesticide.

Get some Permethrin for the mites and lice. It kills on contact with the mites and lice and this means hopefully the pests get killed before they can take another bite out of your chicken.
Permethrin is my go to as well. Thank you on the info for Ivermetcin - I don't have big livestock on my hobby farm of the sort Ivermectin is typically used on, so I don't normally have it on hand. Just noted that many on BYC do.

Fenben is one of my usual go to's - I have goats. and Permethrin because I used to backpack and it repeatedly proved effective on ticks when I did so.

Love learning from this community.

I know the safeguard drench is 1ml/12lb ……so pea sized amount per chicken of the paste sounds accurate…..
Oh boy! Kathy sees this pea size amount. Her head's going to explode because mine just almost did.

0.23 ml per each pound.
Completely safe to round up to 0.25 ml per each pound the bird weighs and no, it is not likely to overdose a bird on safeguard.

Back
Top Bottom