Treating Lice in Pakistan

fatimastic

Songster
Aug 26, 2020
Pakistan
Hello everone,

I have noticed lice on hens from the past month but at first I just mistook it as some random insect that got stuck in the back of my hen. But just the other day while I was checking them, I found out that they were heavily infested with a lot of those yellow insects!

We have monsoon season going on here for the past month and that means humidity, dampness, mud and no place for them to take their baths. The bedding in their coop and run is just soil. And in their sleeping shef, we have sheets that cover the floor and we change the sheets everyday.

We don't have the same medicines and sprays that are in the US. My father knows a local chicken owner and he told him to treat them with burned wood ash. Will that work?

I did some research and watched a few Pakistani videos related to lice and they told to treat them with Coopex (a powder used to kill cockroaches and othet insects in homes). They just put Coopex on them and rubbed them in their feathers lightly, more like dusted them with it.

The powder is really inexpensive but what if some goes into their eyes? Or what if the eat it while preening or scratching? Or what if they just inhale it?

I also have neem oil available here. Do you have any idea on how to use it to treat them? I overall have 8 chickens. 7 sweet hens and 1 very aggressive roo. And I am alone to give them all a bath and dry them. That will cost me my whole day. So if really do not want to give them a bath.

What should I do with the bedding? How should I get rid of the lice in your opinion? Monsoon season will another month or two at most.

Regards,
Fatima.

Hello everone,

I have noticed lice on hens from the past month but at first I just mistook it as some random insect that got stuck in the back of my hen. But just the other day while I was checking them, I found out that they were heavily infested with a lot of those yellow insects!

We have monsoon season going on here for the past month and that means humidity, dampness, mud and no place for them to take their baths. The bedding in their coop and run is just soil. And in their sleeping shef, we have sheets that cover the floor and we change the sheets everyday.

We don't have the same medicines and sprays that are in the US. My father knows a local chicken owner and he told him to treat them with burned wood ash. Will that work?

I did some research and watched a few Pakistani videos related to lice and they told to treat them with Coopex (a powder used to kill cockroaches and othet insects in homes). They just put Coopex on them and rubbed them in their feathers lightly, more like dusted them with it.

The powder is really inexpensive but what if some goes into their eyes? Or what if the eat it while preening or scratching? Or what if they just inhale it?

I also have neem oil available here. Do you have any idea on how to use it to treat them? I overall have 8 chickens. 7 sweet hens and 1 very aggressive roo. And I am alone to give them all a bath and dry them. That will cost me my whole day. So if really do not want to give them a bath.

What should I do with the bedding? How should I get rid of the lice in your opinion? Monsoon season will another month or two at most.

Regards,
Hello everone,

Regards,
Fatima.
Throwing this out as an idea. We had people lice some years back and treated with cetaphyl. Not sure if a similar petroleum jelly type treatment would work here. It would certainly be a mess with chickens.

Throwing this out as an idea. We had people lice some years back and treated with cetaphyl. Not sure if a similar petroleum jelly type treatment would work here. It would certainly be a mess with chickens.
That's what people use for scaly leg mites, not sure if it would work for body lice though

I don't know anything about that product. The OP would need to research it and see if they find it suitable for their applications.
This is what is stated at the back of the bottle of Mortein Coopex.
I will just give a brief explanation as to what the man in the video did. He said to use the Coopex powder (with nothing extra added to it). He also stated that it is harmless to chickens. He stated to start using it from around the tail and work the way up as tail has the most lice. Then he said to keep all the hens/chicks/roosters in a cage, separate from their coop, fot 30 mins so that they don't play. In those 30 mins, use a strainer with Coopex in it and strain all the soil and mix the powder well with the bedding so that the lice won't survive in the soil.

My concerns are that the hens play around and peck at the soil, what if they take in the substance?

Attachments

• images (6).jpeg
    images (6).jpeg
    48.4 KB · Views: 7
@Wyorp Rock are you familiar with any of these products?
I don't know anything about that product. The OP would need to research it and see if they find it suitable for their applications.
That's what people use for scaly leg mites, not sure if it would work for body lice though
[/QUOTE
What do you suggest I should do? Coopex mainly has permethrin...

I hope treatment has been going well, the label you posted has permethrin in it which is what's commonly used to treat lice and mites on chickens. Here is some info I found on treatment, your description of the video is accurate also.
Screenshot_20210827-185449~2.png
Screenshot_20210827-185644~2.png
Screenshot_20210827-185627~2.png

Permethrin 0.25-0.5 % is usually used to treat lice and mites. This product says it is 1%, probably a little strong, but it could be diluted in half.

Back
Top Bottom