Treating Roundworms with Safeguard

saving grace

Loving Life
Premium Feather Member
Feb 2, 2021
Canada
When I was cleaning the coop today I noticed a couple of stools had roundworms. I've looked all around for possible treatments and the only thing I found is this equine Safeguard. Will this work for deworming my chickens? And if so, what dosage do I use and how do I treat them?
Screenshot 2021-11-09 4.34.07 PM.png

@dawg53 @Eggcessive @casportpony @Kiki
Correct me if I'm wrong PLEASE

I have used ... Individually a pea sized glob. From my notes ....

Safeguard - (threadworm, round worm, cecal worm, & tapeworm) - Equine paste or goat liquid. 1/4 ml per lb repeat in 10 days for major infestation 5 consecutive days
Liquid: 5ml in 1 gallon of water, offer as sole water for 5-7 days (new batch daily, might be better to do the math and only offer a quart or half gallon so it doesn't go to waste). Repeat in 14 days. Egg withdrawal during and after final dose.

Fenbendazole is 0.23 ml per pound of bird.
One dose and then repeat one dose in 10-14 days.
1/2 lb bird = 0.115ml dose
1lb =0.23
2lb=0.46
3lb=0.69
4lb=0.92
5lb=1.15
6lb=1.38
7lb=1.61
Tape worms - repeat dose in 10 days and again in another 10 days.
Capillary worms require 5 consecutive days of treatment.
Egg withdrawal is 14 days after last treatment. Although studies in other countries show it's out of their system in 2 days and a human safe wormer. Your choice to eat eggs sooner. But don't give/sell eggs until withdrawal period is up. Discard eggs for 2 weeks after final dose.

The Safeguard liquid goat wormer shouldnt be put in water, it doesnt mix well and is ineffective.

I've used the Safeguard equine paste before but the paste isnt absorbed as quickly as the liquid goat wormer into the blood stream in order to kill the worms.

I've used both the paste and liquid in the past to treat tapeworms and it was ineffective.

The Safeguard liquid goat wormer shouldnt be put in water, it doesnt mix well and is ineffective.

I've used the Safeguard equine paste before but the paste isnt absorbed as quickly as the liquid goat wormer into the blood stream in order to kill the worms.

I've used both the paste and liquid in the past to treat tapeworms and it was ineffective.

Dont get me wrong. Safeguard is an excellent wormer, just as long as it's administered orally. That way you know all your birds got properly wormed, no guesswork about it. The same is true for Valbazen and Pyrantel Pamoate.

Another disadvantage of putting wormers in water such as Levamisole, is that you dont know if birds will drink it, or if they'll drink enough of it to be effective or they might not drink it at all. Also, birds drink less in cooler temperatures, that means they drink less of the treated water, same with antibiotics mixed in water.
Direct dosing orally is best.

I've used Levamisole and it's an excellent wormer as long as your birds drink it. However, I prefer Valbazen and Safeguard for all types of roundworms, and Equimax or Zimecterin Gold for tapeworms.

Dont get me wrong. Safeguard is an excellent wormer, just as long as it's administered orally. That way you know all your birds got properly wormed, no guesswork about it. The same is true for Valbazen and Pyrantel Pamoate.

Another disadvantage of putting wormers in water such as Levamisole, is that you dont know if birds will drink it, or if they'll drink enough of it to be effective or they might not drink it at all. Also, birds drink less in cooler temperatures, that means they drink less of the treated water, same with antibiotics mixed in water.
Direct dosing orally is best.

I've used Levamisole and it's an excellent wormer as long as your birds drink it. However, I prefer Valbazen and Safeguard for all types of roundworms, and Equimax or Zimecterin Gold for tapeworms.
I totally agree, preferring to medicate individually instead of in water. That was I know they're getting the med. I'm still learning and been very lucky that I haven't had to do much "medical" stuff ... I keep notes to refer to as it's more dependable than memory . Thank you.

Thanks for the clear answers. It's so appreciated. :)

I've heard that of you can see the roundworms in their stool it means they have a worm overload. Is this extremely serious? I can get the treatment in a couple days, is it fine if they go a little longer without being treated?

Thanks for the clear answers. It's so appreciated. :)

I've heard that of you can see the roundworms in their stool it means they have a worm overload. Is this extremely serious? I can get the treatment in a couple days, is it fine if they go a little longer without being treated?
There are only two reasons why you see worms in feces:
1. They died of old age and were excreted/the end of their lifecycle.
2. The digestive tract was loaded up with worms and the only place to go was out the rear end.

You have to think what the worms are doing to your chicken internally. They are sucking the life out of your chicken, slowly starving them of nutrients needed to survive.

Some folks say chickens can handle a small worm load. At first everything appears normal with the chicken. What do you think the small worm load is doing besides sucking the life out of your birds? They are multiplying by the hundreds and every time your worm infected birds take a crap, thousands of worm eggs are deposited on the soil, contaminating the soil.
Chickens continuously peck the soil, they pick up and swallow the worms eggs and get infected again. That's what ANY kind of worm load does.

When I was cleaning the coop today I noticed a couple of stools had roundworms. I've looked all around for possible treatments and the only thing I found is this equine Safeguard. Will this work for deworming my chickens? And if so, what dosage do I use and how do I treat them?

I think my chicken(s) have roundworms. I noticed one hen has loose stools in the last week, mostly in the morning. But this morning there was what looked like a roundworm, dead, plopped neatly on top a watery stool. I brought it in to look at it under the microscope. This is the first one I’ve seen.

I have only have piperazine 250mg for cats in liquid form. Is it possible to use this? Otherwise it will take me quite a while to get the proper meds

3CB2B994-B5F7-4688-A752-1CBE215D636F.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom