Treating Tapeworms - Under Construction

The density of paste is similar to water, so you can treat the paste as you would water.

Equimax is 140.3 mg per ml praziquantel and 18.7 mg/ml ivermectin.
The chicken praziquantel dose is 10 mg/kg.

Imagine the tube below is Equimax (sorry, only tube I had wa just plain ivermectin)
From left to right:
Small = 0.1 ml = 1.87 mg ivermectin & 14.3 mg praziquantel
Medium = 0.25 ml = 4.675 mg ivermectin & 35.075 mg praziquantel
Large = 0.5 ml = 9.35 mg ivermectin & 70.15 mg praziquantel

The blob next to the grain of rice is 0.025ml = 0.4675 mg ivermectin & 3.5 mg praziquantel
Thank you so much for this!!!
I was really not able to figure out how much to do so that was very helpful.

I have not seen any signs of worms but how do you treat a flock of around 400 birds?
There's nothing saying that you have to worm them all at once. You can worm them by breed, for example; RIR's, BR's the 1st day: Buff Orpingtons, EE's the 2nd day: Sex Links, Marans the 3rd day, and so on.
OR, you can worm birds by coops. OR, you can worm them by color.

It's best to worm birds early morning while it's still dark and before feeding them. Birds will be roosting and easy to snatch off the roost to worm them.
The wormer will be more effective eliminating worms giving it to your birds on an empty stomach. Then feed your birds about 3 hours after worming them.

As far as tapeworms go, you only have to worm birds that have excreted segments in feces with Equimax.

Hi @casportpony my local TSC was out of most of their horse dewormer. The only praziquantel option they had was this. Would it work for chickens, and do you know what the dosage would be?

41726B13-F3CD-4AB7-8AF1-9694280B824F.jpeg
6C72B9D6-3345-46B3-9873-865C38EA8F6C.jpeg
0EDF2E2B-F36F-4CCB-AB8A-50F203D5718D.jpeg

The *safe* moxidectin dose is 0.0045 ml per pound

The amount you would need to use for tapes is 0.036 ml per pound, which puts you at ~12.6 times the safe dose.

Praziquantel - 1 / 2.2 x 10 /125 = 0.036 ml per pound
Moxidectin - 1 / 2.2 x 0.2 / 20 = 0.0045 ml per pound

Does that make sense?

The *safe* moxidectin dose is 0.0045 ml per pound

The amount you would need to use for tapes is 0.036 ml per pound, which puts you at ~12.6 times the safe dose.

Praziquantel - 1 / 2.2 x 10 /125 = 0.036 ml per pound
Moxidectin - 1 / 2.2 x 0.2 / 20 = 0.0045 ml per pound

Does that make sense?
Well crap (pun intended). I will see if I can find one of the safer options for sale online. Thanks for doing the math for me!!!

Prior to using using albendazole and praziquantel, I used fenbendazole against tapeworms and it was ineffective.
Albendazole is effective in treating tapeworms IF:
Keep your birds penned and withhold feed for 24 hours.
Increase valbazen dosage 2 times the normal amount given for 3 days straight and repeat this procedure in 10 days.

Personally I like giving the z-gold or equimax for tapeworms. It takes less dosage and less time to kill tapeworms than valbazen, also less chance of aspirating the bird with so much liquid unless it's tubed.
I still withhold feed for 24 hours using either of the paste wormers for tapeworms only.
Where do I find these products? Tapeworm issue here… Have tried safeguard and ivermectin 😔Still see them…

Back
Top Bottom