Treating upper respiratory infections

Hello I don't know if I don't know if I should try Duramycin-10, did it work for your chickens???
Duramycin 10 is tetracycline, and can be effective if a sick chicken drinks enough of it. Oxytetracycline is similar. Most sick chickens don't drink well, so something like Tylan 50 injectable is often given orally with a syringe (needle removed.) Dosage for 5 pound chicken would be 1 ml by mouth twice a day for 5 days.

I want to get Duramycin 10, (i'm not good with syringes).My chicken has respiratory disease and that's why i need the duramycin 10, do you know where i can get it from.
Thanks

I want to get [COLOR=333333]Duramycin 10, (i'm not good with syringes).My chicken has respiratory disease and that's why i need the duramycin 10, do you know where i can get it from.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]Thanks[/COLOR]

Most feed stores stock Duramycin 10, Terra-Vet 10 or something with oxytetracyline.

-Kathy

@casportpony , Kathy. I have a sickly 5/6 month old hen. I ready many threads here on BYC and came to the decision to try Tylan 50 injectable. Not that it makes a huge difference but I am a nurse so giving injections isn't new to me. I gave the first dose last night of .5cc into the skin near the breast bone. I'll be honest, I do not have a scale and by guess I'd say my hen is nowhere near even a few pounds. I have her isolated indoors in my laundry room in a cage with a light for some warmth.
This AM I gave her a second dose of just .3cc per what a friend and I decided, that she is just too light weight for such a hefty dose. She seems to have rosier color to her face and she happily eats the wet mix I have made of her crumbles, scrambled egg, yogurt and a smidge of honey, plus 1/4t of the vitamin supplement powder. Today her crop actually feels more full. After the running around yesterday when I read more in the late evening I decided to get supplies to tube feed her if she didn't seem to fill out her crop some by today. Her stools actually have consistency now as well so I tend to want to avoid tube feeding her if I have to.
She continues to have a squawky sound to her cries when I hold her as if she is congested. Her breaths have a click noise that I was able to pinpoint this AM to wetness in her sinuses, a shake of the head during a sneeze w/ the same squawky nasal sound, almost like a trumpet. But she is eating really well now that she has free access to food.
My primary question is am I giving her enough of the tylan? I understand that if I see no real improvement by tomorrow maybe another two days could help but it may not if whatever she has is a virus. And should I tube feed her regardless of how well she is eating the mixture?

@casportpony , Kathy. I have a sickly 5/6 month old hen. I ready many threads here on BYC and came to the decision to try Tylan 50 injectable. Not that it makes a huge difference but I am a nurse so giving injections isn't new to me. I gave the first dose last night of .5cc into the skin near the breast bone. I'll be honest, I do not have a scale and by guess I'd say my hen is nowhere near even a few pounds. I have her isolated indoors in my laundry room in a cage with a light for some warmth.
This AM I gave her a second dose of just .3cc per what a friend and I decided, that she is just too light weight for such a hefty dose. She seems to have rosier color to her face and she happily eats the wet mix I have made of her crumbles, scrambled egg, yogurt and a smidge of honey, plus 1/4t of the vitamin supplement powder. Today her crop actually feels more full. After the running around yesterday when I read more in the late evening I decided to get supplies to tube feed her if she didn't seem to fill out her crop some by today. Her stools actually have consistency now as well so I tend to want to avoid tube feeding her if I have to.
She continues to have a squawky sound to her cries when I hold her as if she is congested. Her breaths have a click noise that I was able to pinpoint this AM to wetness in her sinuses, a shake of the head during a sneeze w/ the same squawky nasal sound, almost like a trumpet. But she is eating really well now that she has free access to food.
My primary question is am I giving her enough of the tylan? I understand that if I see no real improvement by tomorrow maybe another two days could help but it may not if whatever she has is a virus. And should I tube feed her regardless of how well she is eating the mixture?
I gotta be honest and say I'm not sure what the correct dose is... If I were going to give it I would give 25 mg per pound twice a day, but since it can cause injection site necrosis, I would give it orally. All literature I have seen says that the dose is actually much higher than most people on forums give.
idunno.gif

This link has a bunch of info that I found:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/954486/tylan-50-tylan-200-and-tylan-powder-dosing/10

Can you get a kitchen scale? Tubing should be done when they lose 5% of their body weight.

-Kathy

Wow, so I might not be giving enough. I really don't have it in me to get out again for a kitchen scale. Ran around all day and really need to relax. I'm going to go back to that link and try to figure it out. I would imagine she has lost over 5% of her weight... her cage mate I bought her with of the same size is healthy and robust, much heftier. Okay thanks for responding so quickly.

Emaciated. Ugh. I am going to give her another dose of .5 and do it twice a day. Just read another article not here on byc so will run a trial with that article and the ones here and cross my fingers. I am a single mom, not a ton of extra $$ and my son is barely 3 who will be home tmrw from his dads.... getting tricky things like that done while he is around isn't easy. This is the first time I have really attempted to treat a sick bird via meds. I am a realist who doesn't believe in putting chickens though so much because its so not their norm and I am quite sure really stressful. Thanks again for speaking up so fast.

Back
Top Bottom