Treating upper respiratory infections

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JBarringerNC, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  2. barkersbirds

barkersbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Yes, Eggcessive, he smells to me like humans do when they have a sinus infection. His eyes were affected more at the beginning of the infection, but were definitely runny and his face was swollen at that time. He's been sick for more than a month now. He seems to get better and then his cough and the mucus on his face shows up again. He eats and drinks without a problem, but he can't seem to beat it. I haven't tried Tylan yet as we are new to this and haven't much experience with giving injections, but it sounds like that is something we should definitely consider. How do I know which med to give him? Can I get these at TSC or do I need to look online for these meds?

3. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  4. 173rd

173rd Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2013
    I bought some Tylan powder. Can anyone tell me the doseage per gallon of water. Thanks

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    !/2 teaspoonful of Tylan Soluble Powder per gallon of water is the amount I came up with. Some older threads say 1 tsp per gallon, but my calculation is this: 100 Grams in 50 gallons of water (the directions on the jar.) This equals 2 Grams per gallon. Since 5 grams roughly equals 1 tsp, it should take just under 1/2 tsp to equal 2 grams per gallon.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  6. 173rd

173rd Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2013
    Have a couple of whezzy peacocks

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is wheezing their only symptom? Any facial swelling, bubbles in the eyes, nasal drainage (thick or thin), sneezing? How old, how long have they been sick, and do they have a bad odor?

8. RooRidgeFarm

RooRidgeFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2013
    Hi,
    This won't 'cure' his illness, BUT it will make him more comfortable and better able to breathe...

Use ORGANIC apple cider vinegar (the one with the "mother" in it-sludge at the bottom of bottle).
    Shake bottle well to mix sludge.
    Use a clean eyedropper, medicine dropper (kids liquid medicines usually have one) OR a small plastic syringe from Tractor Supply Co etc.
    Mix about 3/4 apple cider vinegar to 1/4 or a tiny bit more of clean room temp or slightly warm water. Making a TOTAL of about 1cc worth.
    Give orally to the chicken-taking your time so he won't aspirate it.

The vinegar cuts through the mucous and helps break it down and wash it away so they can swallow and breathe better-plus the vinegar is healthy. You can do this several times a day to cut the mucous.

Any nasal help can be offered following the Vet RX directions. And you can also use a sterile saline rinse that is for humans if the nose is really congested. Just put a few DROPS in of the nasal saline in each nostril a few times daily to break through crusty or congested nostrils.

Tylan 50 will help the infection-1/4 cc 2X's daily for smaller chickens/bantams, or 1/2cc 2X's daily for large size. IMPORTANT: Treat with Tylan 50 a FULL 5 DAYS! As with any antibiotic, you must complete the course! And overuse of antibiotics does more harm than good at diminishing effectiveness, so try using only once and then rotate to a different antibiotic in the future.

I think your chicken should be isolated, kept warmer than outside temps, reduce stress, mix probiotic powder in his food, feed extra protein (egg yolks are great), treated w/Tylan, given oral vinegar, and mix soluble chickens vitamins in his water for three days, and always remember to worm-which if he has worms will make it harder to overcome his illness.

In order to make sure you reduce the chance of contamination to your other chickens: Thoroughly clean the waterer and feeders with a bleach mixture. Then add 1 teaspoon of bleach for every gallon of drinking water. Adding the tsp of bleach is completely fine and kills any entering bacteria/germs that some of the other chickens may have (helping reduce cross contamination). You will have a good idea if any others have what he has in a couple of weeks, so sanitation is essential. I learned all this from the state department of poultry where I live.

Best wishes!

9. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    X2. If you have a foul odor, clogging of the nostrils and sinuses, sometimes facial swelling, then you have Coryza. Sulfadimethoxine powder @ 1 tsp for 5 days, or Sulmet (sodium sulfamethazine at 1 tsp per gallon for 7-10 days is the treatment for coryza. If the foul odor is cleared up, etc., yet you still have runny eyes, nose, a throat rattle, you must change medication. Tylan 50 @ 1/2 cc under the skin on the back of the neck with a 25 gauge needle every day for 5 days is the best treatment for CRD. If the bird is over 5 lbs, give an additional 1/2 cc in the breast. Locate the breast bone and alternate each side for an injection site each day. Duramycin is probably the least effective treatment of CRD besides apple cider vinegar. If you want to add something beneficial, a few drops of RX Poultry Remedy in the water can help clear sinuses. I wish you a speedy recovery.

P.S. Always follow up with a vitamin, mineral, and probiotic soluble powder after completing treatment with antibiotics or medication. Avian Super Pack and Probios are two excellent quality products I recommend.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by