Treating upper respiratory infections

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JBarringerNC, Mar 17, 2013.

1. 173rd

173rd Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2013
    Peacock just sneezimg and other one is gasping for air No swelling No bad smell No runny eyes or nose and not eating

2. barkersbirds

barkersbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Thanks for the helpful information, Eggcessive. I headed out before the snowstorm today to a new grain store that had the 12.5% Dimethox concentrate as well as the Tylan 50 injectable. I started him on the Dimethox today and will continue that for five days as it suggests. He seems to be better today just being in from the cold, but he always sounds better when he is here in the house. The feed store also recommended that I give him some nutri-drench and healthyflock tabs as soon as I finish the Dimethox. RooRidgeFarm also had some great ideas about how to use apple cider vinegar with Mother and saline spray to help relieve the congestion. I am going to try that as well. Keeping our fingers crossed that something helps him soon. We really don't want to lose him.

3. barkersbirds

Sep 2, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Thanks for the helpful information, Eggcessive. I headed out before the snowstorm today to a new grain store that had the 12.5% Dimethox concentrate as well as the Tylan 50 injectable. I started him on the Dimethox today and will continue that for five days as it suggests. He seems to be better today just being in from the cold, but he always sounds better when he is here in the house. The feed store also recommended that I give him some nutri-drench and healthyflock tabs as soon as I finish the Dimethox. RooRidgeFarm also had some great ideas about how to use apple cider vinegar with Mother and saline spray to help relieve the congestion. I am going to try that as well. Keeping our fingers crossed that something helps him soon. We really don't want to lose him.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Not eating and gasping for air bother me way more than sneezing. How old are these peacocks, have they ever been wormed, what does their poop look like and have they lost weight? Peafowl are very good at hiding illness, more so than other birds, so often it's too late to save them by the time you notice they're sick. If you want to save them you need to take this very seriously and act quickly. Your best option would be to take one to the vet.

I'm no expert, but I do have a few years of experience with peafowl and I currently have 40 of them.

It would be really helpful if you could:
    • Post poop pictures
    • Give peafowl ages
    • Weigh peafowl

With the above we might be able to determine what type of illness they have and how long they have been sick. I can tell you from personal experience that if they haven't been eating they will need to be tube fed at least twice a day and that you're going to need some wormer and antibiotics.

-Kathy

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You're welcome. I hope he starts to respond to the meds. Keep us posted.

6. barkersbirds

Sep 2, 2013
    Massachusetts
    OK, we did five days on the Dimethox and seem to have significant improvement on the coughing, sneezing and snicking. Nasal congestion seemed to have stopped too. He is still quarantined and inside with fresh air flowing by way of a window nearby. The weather is warm here for winter in New England. It was about 60 degrees today!

He still has good appetite and is drinking lots. I have begun to add nutri-drench to his water and to also give him about 2 ml directly with an eye dropper each day.

I was planning to move him back out today but have two concerns I thought I'd ask about. His right eye is very swollen today but not runny and...it's clear to me now that he has some lice. Certainly not a major infestation of any kind, but I've seen a few on him. Should I be concerned with treating either before I return him to the flock?

Would love to hear your thoughts!

7. barkersbirds

Sep 2, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Thanks for this very helpful advice! It helped a lot! Especially the vinegar and saline. I just posted a separate update as the Dimethox helped alot. Only remaining symptom is swelling in his eye today and I have discovered from holding him in the last couple of days to administer meds that he also has a very light case of lice...

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  9. barkersbirds

Sep 2, 2013
    Massachusetts
    These links are very helpful. Thanks for sharing. Do you think we need to move onto Tylan or should we just wait it out and keep giving him the nutri-drench?

10. RooRidgeFarm

RooRidgeFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2013

It's good to hear he is improving! As far as keeping him separate-definitely until there are no visible signs of illness. A great and affordable way to treat the lice externally is to use food grade de (diatomacious earth) and dust his hot spots daily.
    And you mention using Tylan. If he has made huge improvements, less is more. Try using the least amount of medications to get results if possible. As with any medications, overuse of them makes them less effective when you really need thm to work.
    !
    On a side note...it was actually 80 degrees in SC today! Enjoy your warm spell

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by