Treats chickens DON'T Like

Mine will eat just about anything including the peanut shells the squirrels leave behind. But the 1 thing I will find an untouched pile of, is baby lima beans.

Imp- I don't like them either. I'm offering free shipping if you take them off my hands.
roll.png
lol.png

Cat food is a bit high in sodium, and I believe some other things -- tyrosine?? -- that aren't good for them in quantity.

Mine will eat tomatoes, bread, any kind of meat, cooked or raw (the day we cleaned fish was a riot) and shredded cheese (also a bit high in sodium, never mind fat.) Oh, and cooked spaghetti or rice. That's about it.

No greens, fruit of any kind, or any veggie peelings or trimmings, for them. I just have to pick them back up or let them rot into the lawn. They will peck at yogurt if I mix it with feed. They love pork chop bones and the heels of loaves of bread.

They're real happy right now as we have lots of stung tomatoes. Mostly I just give them a handful of scratch for a treat, and put the scraps in the compost pile.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
What I've done since mine never eat it that often and are usually cautious of it, is to put solid foods, like sunflower seeds, cat food, feed, etc. , into the yogurt. That way, there will get the taste of it when they eat the solids.

How do you get them to eat sunflower seeds? Not a chance here.

Quote:
What I've done since mine never eat it that often and are usually cautious of it, is to put solid foods, like sunflower seeds, cat food, feed, etc. , into the yogurt. That way, there will get the taste of it when they eat the solids.

How do you get them to eat sunflower seeds? Not a chance here.

I just sprinkle it on the ground and they go for it
idunno.gif

Believe it or not they turned up their beaks at watermelon. They wouldn't touch it until it was crawling with ants. Then they picked off all the ants, but still not interested in eatting nice juicey watermelon.

my silkie chickens wont eat any treat unless it is red. so tomatoes, strawberries, and nothing else!

my other hens will eat almost anything even the shirt off your back...
gig.gif
however they will not eat asparagus, or broccoli, kale, collard greens

WORMS!!!

can you believe it, they will not eat worms. I dug over some ground, millions of worms. The hens looked at it, scratched once or twice, and settled down for a dust bath.

he.gif
All the work and they turned their beak up at them

I tried watermelon and cantaloupe. Not a chance. I ground sunflower seeds in the blender, and offered them whole. Not a chance.

Chickens are weird.

Back
Top Bottom