Treats/Foods

One thing I've noticed with my girls, is they really don't like anything new. It takes about 4 or 5 times before they decide if they like a certain treat or not.
Let them see you eat it first then take some from your hand in small pieces. It’s a trust issue. Mine like to see Mama eat it first then they tear it up like nobodies business.

I love spoiling them and have tried many different things. It's so much fun. I'll get a little bit of something and sit out in the yard and give it to them.
Yeah, I love putting it down and watching them stare for what seems like eternity and then they go hard. We are in Polk County, so hello neighbor. 😂

Mine pretty much hate everything for about 4 days. Food, changes in their coop, something new in the yard... Lol
I think they are like old folks. They don’t adjust to change well even if they are positive ones or not. Chickens are the most similar animal/fowl to old women in personality among all in the animal kingdom in my opinion. Mine will do that with feed about 24 hours but they are too big of little pigs to go longer than that. No hunger strikes for my flock for sure!

I think they are like old folks. They don’t adjust to change well even if they are positive ones or not. Chickens are the most similar animal/fowl to old women in personality among all in the animal kingdom in my opinion. Mine will do that with feed about 24 hours but they are too big of little pigs to go longer than that. No hunger strikes for my flock for sure!
I put out a mister 2 days ago. It's been hot and I thought they might like it. The first day they wouldn't even go to that side of the yard. Yesterday they went to that side but nowhere near it. I'm sure today they will go look at it closer. Tomorrow they will probably go give it a peck. Lol.

Hi you need to supply grit based on a few things and it is found at TSC, feed stores, etc., I believe it is ground up granite to be specific but not sure to be 100% off the top of my head. The heat is getting to me. I am sure that you can supply treats after chickens are about a month old or some less depending on the treat as long as you have chick grit available. It is oyster shell that should not be supplied until they have had their first egg laid. Roosters know instinctively not to take oyster shell. Chicks know instinctively when they need grit. Chicks do not need grit with just the starter grower crumble or pellets. There are some formulations out there that have the grit added to them already in both the starter forms and the next stages. You just have to read the labels but I prefer to buy mine separate and supply separate that way I know mine are getting plenty of grain for my buck and they can be selective about the grit they want to intake. When your chickens are molting and not laying you need to take them off the oyster shell formulations as well and remove it.
Great info! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom