Treats for ducklings

holiday hawk

Chirping
Apr 12, 2023
Our ducklings are now about 23 days old (assuming they were mailed at exactly one day old). We'd like to start giving them some greens and other treats. I've always heard peas are a really big hit ducks. What are some things ducks this age can safely eat? In the same vein, how do we give them access to grit for these treats? I've heard some people say mix it in with the food, others just say put it in a container in their brooder. What works better? Also, how long do they need access to the grit before they eat treats? A day, a couple of hours, just at the same time?

Put out the grit in a bowl close by where you put their feed they will use it as they need it. Putting it in their feed they may overeat it.

here is a list of treats but remember treats should only be 10% of their daily ration they get most of their nutrients from their feed while they are growing.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/the-ultimate-list-of-duck-treats-and-supplements.242460/
Now how about some pictures of your ducklings:pop
Here is them during swim time while their brooder was getting cleaned!

Attachments

• PXL_20230614_215645922.jpg
    PXL_20230614_215645922.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 13
I just keep my grit in a separate bowl
They will eat it as they need
I start with peas and greens
My young ones love just about anything
Watermelon is a huge hit. Keep in mind you will find red poo
It’s not blood
Just remember tears should not be more then 10 % of food intake
Do just little bits at a time
It’s also a great way ti get them to come closer and take treats from your hands

Back
Top Bottom